Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Grip Size Difference Between Glock 19 Gen 4 And Glock 17 Gen 5

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Quick question that I don't want to start a whole thread for.

What is the trigger like on the G19 and G17 Gen 5s compared to the Gen 4s?

I hope it is significantly improved as Glock is up there in terms of price but have been lacking in terms of improving their product. They seem willing to rest on their laurels and still rake in the dough on a loyal customer base. If they want to remain as one of the top brands they should do everything they can to have one of the top triggers on the market.

Anyway just some thoughts.
    The GEN5 trigger is better than the GEN4 trigger, at least for me.

The GLOCK trigger is just fine for what it needs to do. Sure it could be improved, sure some other brands have "better" triggers but the GLOCK trigger is perfectly fit for purpose.

Light, short triggers with short resets can be crutches for lack of practice.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Glock is partly tensioned VS fully tensioned just like a cocked double or single action pistol. Short of converting it to the new Timney trigger it will always have a long mushy pull. Irrelevant and even arguably preferable for defensive distances up to say 25m; but as the range increases the trigger becomes a hindrance as against a short clean break. Hence the move towards the pre cocked system in more recent competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post

The GLOCK trigger is just fine for what it needs to do. Sure it could be improved, sure some other brands have "better" triggers but the GLOCK trigger is perfectly fit for purpose.
    No offense but that doesn't make any sense, what is Glock's "purpose" as opposed to other brands?

Light, short triggers with short resets can be crutches for lack of practice.
    Again that doesn't make sense, you are saying a mediocre trigger is needed to ensure you practice more. Why not have the best of both world's, a great trigger and you practice.

No offense but that doesn't make any sense, what is Glock's "purpose" as opposed to other brands?

Again that doesn't make sense, you are saying a mediocre trigger is needed to ensure you practice more. Why not have the best of both world's, a great trigger and you practice.
    It makes perfect sense. GLOCKS are not designed as target guns, they are fighting guns. Accordingly a semi-precocked design which adds a measure of drop safety and some trigger travel is suitable and appropriate for that purpose. Ask SIG how important that is.

Sure other manufacturers use different methods and designs to produce shorter lighter triggers. That doesn't render GLOCK triggers any less useable.

Don't read in words that are not there. Light short triggers can mask shooter problems which are more readily exposed with other trigger types.

GLOCK don't build guns for you and I. They build for MIL and LE. Their customers seem to be perfectly happy with the triggers.

Fit for purpose is not the same thing as perfect for purpose. You ever shot a CZ100 - there is a gun with a trigger unfit for purpose.

I'd be quite happy carrying a GLOCK of any generation with a stock trigger.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

SSP is 100% correct, even more so when we consider that Mil and Leo have access to long guns when the range increases. As civilians we may be forced to stretch the distance and this is where the Glock trigger is more difficult to master (not impossible). The big question is whether the new designs are as safe as the Glock. As SSP mentions Sig has had to make some revisions. The Beretta APX seems to be a robust design but time will tell.

User

Not just you. Shooting them side by side, there's quite a difference.

It makes perfect sense. GLOCKS are not designed as target guns, they are fighting guns. Accordingly a semi-precocked design which adds a measure of drop safety and some trigger travel is suitable and appropriate for that purpose. Ask SIG how important that is.

Sure other manufacturers use different methods and designs to produce shorter lighter triggers. That doesn't render GLOCK triggers any less useable.

Don't read in words that are not there. Light short triggers can mask shooter problems which are more readily exposed with other trigger types.

GLOCK don't build guns for you and I. They build for MIL and LE. Their customers seem to be perfectly happy with the triggers.

Fit for purpose is not the same thing as perfect for purpose. You ever shot a CZ100 - there is a gun with a trigger unfit for purpose.

I'd be quite happy carrying a GLOCK of any generation with a stock trigger.
    I hear what you are saying, personally I would rather have a decent trigger over a heavy one. My G19 Gen 4 is pretty tough.
    Also I think that if Glock is to keep it's position as one of the top dogs it better keep improving it's product and a decent trigger is one of those. Other brands have been eating into Glocks market share because of things like this.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

What is a 'decent trigger"?
    Your gen 4 tough compared to what? Is the Gen 4 trigger bad affecting its reliable functioning?
    You say that Glock is losing market share due to their trigger?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

It makes perfect sense. GLOCKS are not designed as target guns, they are fighting guns. Accordingly a semi-precocked design which adds a measure of drop safety and some trigger travel is suitable and appropriate for that purpose. Ask SIG how important that is.Sure other manufacturers use different methods and designs to produce shorter lighter triggers. That doesn't render GLOCK triggers any less useable.Don't read in words that are not there. Light short triggers can mask shooter problems which are more readily exposed with other trigger types.GLOCK don't build guns for you and I. They build for MIL and LE. Their customers seem to be perfectly happy with the triggers. Fit for purpose is not the same thing as perfect for purpose. You ever shot a CZ100 - there is a gun with a trigger unfit for purpose.I'd be quite happy carrying a GLOCK of any generation with a stock trigger.
    I agree with this completely. I shoot a gen 2 17 with a ghost connector as my sport gun.When I run my gen 3 26 with stock trigger I don't notice the difference unless I'm doing something slower and deliberately.I had an Sd9. That trigger design is to have a long reset. I used to bitch shooting it in comps. It's perfectly capable and it was my level of skill. Sure a nice single action trigger makes life a little easier. I miss my Sd9 though.

User

I hear what you are saying, personally I would rather have a decent trigger over a heavy one. My G19 Gen 4 is pretty tough.Also I think that if Glock is to keep it's position as one of the top dogs it better keep improving it's product and a decent trigger is one of those. Other brands have been eating into Glocks market share because of things like this.
    How many rounds has that gun seen? I think you're over thinking the trigger.Gear doesn't automatically make ya better shooter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3