Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Blue Wildebeest - Cow or Bull?

Thanks TStone, good point to note. The other factor I was told about it, how the horns sit - cows sit further up on top of the head above the ears, whilst bulls' horns drop down.

User

There are people that will tell you that cows have red foreheads while those of the bulls are black. In the areas where I have hunted them this is not true. Young animals of both sexes will have reddish foreheads, old animals will have black foreheads.

All bulls.

Cow with calf.

This is the case in most instances but in the bushveld areas I have seen / hunted mature cows with brownish foreheads

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There are people that will tell you that cows have red foreheads while those of the bulls are black. In the areas where I have hunted them this is not true. Young animals of both sexes will have reddish foreheads, old animals will have black foreheads.

All bulls.

Cow with calf.

Is the curled inwards towards each other horns not an identifying feature of females?

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Is the curled inwards towards each other horns not an identifying feature of females?
    The tips of cow horns (old cows) does tend to point towards each other while the horn tips of old bulls tend to point backwards at an angle. The main difference is the thickness and "weight" of the bulls horns. This is much easier to see in a mixed herd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2