Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Private Sale

Default Private Sale

Good Day Gents

I am selling a firearm, privately.
    The interested buyer is not in my town. I wanted to place the firearm into dealer stock in my home town and do paper work here.
    The buyer wants the firearm transferred to a dealer where he stays.

What are my options?

I have searched the forum but cannot seem to find an answer.

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Private Sale

The problem with moving the firearm to a dealer near them, is that you run the risk of paying expensive transport or storage costs.
    If he is happy to pay to get the firearm shipped to his dealer, that is one thing, but what happens is for some reason he does not get a license approved? You are then sitting with your firearm in another town and left paying the storage fees at his dealer or have to transport it back to you at your expense.

Just something to keep in mind...

Ask name of the dealer he wants to use.

Make the arrangement he pays transport on firearm.

And that before firearm moves you want copy from dealer of the SAPS 300 transfer to dealer filled in.

The dealer will only transfer onto their stock once they receive item. But if you have copy in advance of it filled in. It covers you as well.

But you must phone the dealer in advance. And introduce yourself to him. And go through the process.

But get the firearm not just stored at dealer. But placed onto their stock. Which case if his license gets turned down. Its not your problem. As not your firearm anymore.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockForce View Post
    The problem with moving the firearm to a dealer near them, is that you run the risk of paying expensive transport or storage costs.
    If he is happy to pay to get the firearm shipped to his dealer, that is one thing, but what happens is for some reason he does not get a license approved? You are then sitting with your firearm in another town and left paying the storage fees at his dealer or have to transport it back to you at your expense.

Just something to keep in mind...
    Not quite how it works, if he buys the FA and pays for it the ownership now resides with the purchaser. He may only take possession once his license is approved. You have no obligation to refund if his license is refused. Best option is to ask to transfer to dealer stock at his local GS should the buyer not apply in a reasonable time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest that the buyer arrange to transfer the firearm into dealer stock, after he has paid you.

When you have the money, complete the necessary paperwork for the dealer stock. The buyer should arrange transport of the firearm to his dealer.

Once the firearm is in dealer stock, it takes a few days and it's off your name,

Once the firearm is off your name, it is no longer your problem if the buyer can't get the license.

I bought a rifle from a private seller in a different province. I paid him, and he completed the paperwork to have the firearm transferred to dealer stock in my province. The paperwork was couriered to the dealer.

Once the dealer had the paperwork sorted, I arranged and paid for transport, and the rifle is now in stock at my dealer, with the license in progress.

The important thing as a protection for you, is not to hand over any signed papers unless you have the money.
    Last edited by 414gates; 15-02-2021 at 15:53. Reason: addendum

Dealer stock the gun wherever the seller wants it. He can pay for the transport there though.

Once its dealer stocked, its no longer your problem.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Guys
    Thanks very much.

Oops, one more question.

Anyone know the SAPS form that I have to complete to get it off my name and into Dealer stock?

Quote Originally Posted by NarcSap View Post
    Oops, one more question.

Anyone know the SAPS form that I have to complete to get it off my name and into Dealer stock?
    SAPS 300 but the dealer fills it in

User

SAPS 534.

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...glish/e534.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast