Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Cooking with cast iron

Good morning all.

Does anyone have experience cooking with cast iron cookware in their kitchen daily?

I am looking to go this route as our normal non stick pots and pans are due to be thrown out.

Is there a difference between the cheaper ones such as Megamaster

https://www.takealot.com/megamaster-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

VS

The really expensive ones such as

https://www.takealot.com/lodge-cast-...m/PLID34148478

I really cannot see the difference between ones made for camping and those marketed as everyday use in the kitchen.

Default Re: Cooking with cast iron

Weve got the old brand Falkirk. And then also a Best Duty make. Ive at one pint had the make Checkers sells. Its their own brand. Forgot name now. The Checkers one was just less worked off. More rough made. But there is now difference in use and function.

Just remember on first use. Or before first use to season the pot. Various techniques out there. From heating it and putting oil in. And adding some potato slices. To some people cooking a gabbage in it. This first stuff gets thrown away. Its merely to season the pot as its called.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Weve got the old brand Falkirk. And then also a Best Duty make. Ive at one pint had the make Checkers sells. Its their own brand. Forgot name now. The Checkers one was just less worked off. More rough made. But there is now difference in use and function.

Just remember on first use. Or before first use to season the pot. Various techniques out there. From heating it and putting oil in. And adding some potato slices. To some people cooking a gabbage in it. This first stuff gets thrown away. Its merely to season the pot as its called.
    Checkers sells Bush Baby as their camping / outdoor brand. I have a poitje from them. Seems to turn out oxtail and lamb just fine

It had some heavy grease on it when I bought it, so had a few rounds of soap and hit water to get that off.

Using your oven and cooking oil to season it has made it an excellent potjie

Also. I go fedup of Nonstick pans not lasting. Went to Banks Kitchen shop and bought a De Buyer French made Non stick pan. I doubt I will ever buy another make again. Absolutely amazing. Now just about 2 years old. And good as new.

User

We cook with cast iron daily, I have a few but the one we use most is probably 15 years old, nothing wrong with it.

The problem must surely come in with finishing, the smoother the better, that is why older(read used) pots cook better.
    After a thousand times scrubbed with steel wool it's about a hundred times better than the day you bought it.

I would just buy expensive from the start, since it's a product that will go to your grand children one day, the purchasing cost is almost irrelevant considering how long it will last.

User

Most important is to make it as smooth as possible before seasoning it well (high spots causes burnt areas that taste bad). I spent the first week of the 2020 lockdown, grinding and flapper discking all the cast iron pots, pans and plates in my house. Best to do it in the middle of the lawn while wearing dust mask, eye and hearing protection. To get into certain corners you might have to remove the safety cover then best to wear decent gloves. Now the wife 95% of the time only use the cast iron cookware.

User

We have a best duty "dutch oven". I think it works so well because the cast iron dissipates heat evenly. No frills. No fuss. Just well used.

User

Quote Originally Posted by noost View Post
    Good morning all.

Does anyone have experience cooking with cast iron cookware in their kitchen daily?

I am looking to go this route as our normal non stick pots and pans are due to be thrown out.

Is there a difference between the cheaper ones such as Megamaster

https://www.takealot.com/megamaster-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

VS

The really expensive ones such as

https://www.takealot.com/lodge-cast-...m/PLID34148478

I really cannot see the difference between ones made for camping and those marketed as everyday use in the kitchen.

The difference would be in the casting quality.
    I have the cheaper one in your above post and it is absolutely useless

The old one from my grandmother is the best. Not sure if the cheap one has bad casting and results in "cold" spots, or the old pan is just used so much that it's smooth and equal?

User

I've found the difference is more in the smoothness and finish but my #2 Falkirk pot weighs more than my #4 Best Duty because the bottom is thicker. But if you can afford it go for the more expensive one then you have to grind a bit less.

User

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-t...4-gone-to-pot/ Small piece I found on looking for pots

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast