Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Cooking with cast iron

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    I would have thought the underside is the bad side...
    With bacterial growth from the sewage, closed damp areas etc.
    Wire brush it clean, spray it clean, heat to a decent temperature to kill anything, pickle it to prepare and you should be good to go with your 600g steak...
    Sorry for the off topic. My grandad used to work for Yskor back in the day and he found a giant square manhole cover about 1x1.2mx19mm somewhere. He took it to the machine shop at work to mill off the diamond treadplate on the top but retain the raised edge to keep the fat from runnig over the sides. He built a frame with gas burners for it and it was the best stir fry grill ever. Also great for family reunion breakfast fry ups.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I wish for a proper cast iron skillet/frying pan big enough for a 600 gram ribeye on the bone, so I can braai like the guys on instagram, butter, garlic, thyme, proper cast iron, first prize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too. But they don't come cheap. R2100 for a 33cm Lodge skillet
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lodg...l6RdUPNx0_zreM

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    I would have thought the underside is the bad side...
    With bacterial growth from the sewage, closed damp areas etc.
    Wire brush it clean, spray it clean, heat to a decent temperature to kill anything, pickle it to prepare and you should be good to go with your 600g steak...
    I was being sarcastic
    I dont think I would trust a drain cover, its 2021 you know we have all become softies....

User

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    Yeah but sadly I couldnt really make one for cheaper, maybe if I do it myself on the machines, but I dont get much time when we busy at work.

User

I was being sarcastic
    I dont think I would trust a drain cover, its 2021 you know we have all become softies....

Mine was a tongue in cheek comment too...
    But on the other hand... It would seriously make a good griddle with enough decent elbow grease and cleaning.

I'll distance myself from your "we have all become softies" comment... You can speak for yourself with that one.
    🤣🤣

User

Sorry for the off topic. My grandad used to work for Yskor back in the day and he found a giant square manhole cover about 1x1.2mx19mm somewhere. He took it to the machine shop at work to mill off the diamond treadplate on the top but retain the raised edge to keep the fat from runnig over the sides. He built a frame with gas burners for it and it was the best stir fry grill ever. Also great for family reunion breakfast fry ups.
    An awesome griddle by the sounds.

User

I see 30cm ones for 600 bucks. Maybe not lodge, but should still be pretty decent. Megamaster 300

User

I know that type of thing as a Chinese BBQ. Basically your oupa made a giant Griddle top. I bet that thing is a winner

User

I was being sarcastic

Just burn the crap out of it, literally and figuratively.
    I've got a tightly spaced, stainless steel wire mesh grid which came from a sewage plant but it has been completely burnt clean. Maybe there were a couple of kidney stones still stuck in it. HaHa LoL

There is quite the cast iron cult on YouTube , so much info and great cooking ideas. It’s amazing to see how versatile cast iron cooking is . A lot of people swear by cast iron, unfortunately I am still learning and working towards that skill level.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast