User

Question Competency application and statement of results (SASSETA)

Hi there. I went to Morningside SAPS yesterday to apply for my (first) competency (SAPS 517). I completed my proficiency training in 2009 already and was awarded 3 x SASSETA certificates (hand gun, rifle and shotgun) along with the proficiency certificate from the institution. Back then there wasn't anything like a "statement of results". The sergeant that dealt with my application today insisted that I have a "statement of results". According to an official SAPS communication I've seen, PFTC Statement of Results has only been a requirement since April 2015 and all those who were issued with SASSETA certificates prior to April 2015 can use those certificates instead. The training institution with whom I completely the training also doesn't exist anymore.

I've know that I can attach this directive to my application and hand it in but I've also heard of people who had their application rejected because of this. I really don't want to wait for 3 months+ only to find out that I will have to do training again but in the same breath I also don't want to spend all this money and do training again if it isn't necessary.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

SAPS directive.pdf

User

Default Re: Competency application and statement of results (SASSETA)

Your problems start with only having three certificates instead of four. In 2009 the legal aspect was included/duplicated in each of the Unit Standards and only later a separate U/S 117705 'Knowledge of the FCA' was developed and has been a 100% requirement since then. You can do 117705 now and get an SOR for it but no clue how to get around the SOR for the others if the service provider doesn't exist any more. Maybe call PFTC and get their take/help on it. Speak to Louis.

User

Hi Peter. Thank you for the reply. I received the attached Proficiency Certificate (which states 117705) although I don't have a separate SASSETA certificate for 11705, only for 119649 (handgun), 119651 (manually operate rifle) and 119652 (shotgun).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have in the last two years successfully licensed two new firearms and have renewed my competency with only my SASSETA certificates. The same three certificates you have.

User

I spoke to Louis at PFTC. He says that the DFO's are normally the ones being difficult but if you can get it past the DFO the chances that the CFR will turn it down is slim as they are aware of this directive.

User

That cert. is 100% as it is for the three firearm types PLUS 117705 ie. four Unit Standards. Just take it to your DFO and get his opinion - some differ.

At my DFO they have a poster up in the office with a red circle that states YOU DO NOT NEED A STATEMENT OF RESULTS FOR SASSETA. Your DFO is being a douche if you ask me...