User

Default Vrendenburg to JHB

I'm collecting some newly acquired toys from family on the West Coast and decided to make the trip back a bit different to the normal "race-to-get-there and race-to-get-back". Don't have much time available so it will be vehicular sightseeing but was planning to drive back via Vanryhnsdorp/ Carnarvon to Kimberley and on to JHB. Probably staying over in Carnarvon and Bloemhof / Wolmeransstad areas.

Any thing I need to know specifically about the R27/R63/R384 routes?

The trip down will be the normal N1 to Touwsriver and then off to Velddrift via Piketberg.

User

Default Re: Vrendenburg to JHB

I did travel that road several times in the past 5 years. Time dependent, I preferred to drive to Capetown at 0500 and then on the N1. Once or twice I went past Kimberly but man 60 km/hr driving through all those small towns, kills me. When driving back there from GP it was always a game for time to see which way will be fastest, driving through CT or Ceres. Btw the average speed cameras on the R27 used to work. LoL. NB for me it was never scenic trip but always to get there and back safely. Btw if you like fish and chips you must try Doepies Vis winkel in Laaiplek, preferably not the one in Velddrif just around the corner. Enjoy your trip.

User

I wouldn't even bother taking the N1 on the down trip. There are a million trucks on it.

On the N12/R384/N7 route:

Chances are good that there are speed traps in/before/after Britstown and Calvinia. Other than that it's all clear with a good quality road. Just watch out for the bridge crossing (driffie) at Vosburg. I flew over it at 140kph in December and went airborne

From the bottom of the Vanrhyns-pass you get into the Western Cape. Stick to the speed limit from there.
    Rather drive via Clanwilliam/Citrusdal/Piketberg and then to Veldrif and on to Vredenburg. There are road works with stop and go's on the road that goes past Graafwater/Leipoldtville/Elandsbaai.

For cheap fuel if you are in a diesel vehicle down there, use "Die Pomp" in Piketberg. Pretty well priced!

"Die Vis Vlekhuis" in Laaiplek has some pretty good food also.
    Watch out for pedestrian crossings in Vredenburg. The locals just walk without looking. Law enforcement was very strict on it down there when we visited my parents in December.
    Enjoy and drive safe.

Geno

User

Oh ja, make sure to stop in Williston at Karusaf for some of the best lamb meat you can buy. https://g.page/Karusaf

User

I prefer the N12; the N1 has a lot more trucking traffic.

Wolmaransstad's biltong shop has the best geelvet biltong known to man. Not cheap, but the absolute best. The N12 is worth it for that alone.

User

Thanks for all the feedback.

Will watch out for the speed traps.

We usually take a drive to St. Helena and get fish and chips from a shop at the harbour.