Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default The light trigger and a 13 year old dilemma.

We went to a farm recently, and the farmer and then the PH was so impressed by Cody and what ever it is that makes him Cody that he was invited by the farmer to go shoot a impala for a guest.
    Then the farm PH asked Cody if he would come help shoot the Impala with wrong horn genetics. Sit at the dam and drop the young rams with horns turning in.

Well I was there to get a w/hog for ourselves and had my .270 for that purpose, all Cody's hunting weapons were at home.
    So he looked at me ?????

My .270 has a super light trigger back from when I still thought I was a hot shot and needed every edge I could get to shoot even better. Truth be said, it sure help shoot where you aim inside a postage stamp.
    So Cody and I ran the rules and always do, always never's with the .270
    Only cock when you ready to shoot, make it safe in the position you are before you move at all if you do not shoot. Point trigger finger towards where you shooting and touch trigger when ready to kill.
    This child's safety factor is better than yours - trust me on this.

The PH said he would be a arms length away and understood situation.

So Cody did his shooting, made a big impression by volunteering to gut, skin animals so the adults could have some beers. (he loves gutting and skinning)

When we got home he got his rifles out and some tools and asked how does he make his triggers like mine. "yooo! Dad that rifle shoots nice"

So here is the situation, he is 13, he often sits alone now in a preset shoot area.
    He is a ok! some days to amazing other days shot.
    He wants a light trigger and has shown he shoots far better with a light trigger.

I am not feeling so great about this desire he has founded.

Some parts of me sais its not a problem, no more dangerous than a standard trigger if treated with same respect. Another part of me feels that there are standard trigger factory settings for a good reason.

Discuss this with me, I am thinking 5 -6 lb trigger for Cody if I go that route (doubt it) - my 270 must be about 4 lb. (I am hoping my memory is correct, was set 18 years ago)

User

Default Re: The light trigger and a 13 year old dilemma.

Treeman...4-5 lb's on a trigger pull for a hunting rifle is dead right. Do not go lighter.

More important is that the trigger has a clean break to it. I would rather shoot a rifle with a nice crisp trigger of 6 lb's than one of 4 lb's with a scratchy jerky take up.

User

Totally separate discussion, sorry.
    I assume that at age 13 he does not have his own license for "his" rifles but they are licensed under your name.

If that is the case then I don't think it is wise to be posting publically here that you leave him alone with rifles that are not licensed to him. Nor that you handed him your rifle to go off with the PH (at least it sounds like you were not present).
    You could find yourself with all guns confiscated and facing a legal battle by putting this online.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

I agree with atunguyd that admissions of flaunting the FCA might come back to haunt one, such as - in addition to the above - where a minor gets home and "gets his rifles out" with "some tools". He is probably neither certified with a competentcy of rifle use, nor as a gunsmith? (Ownership of firearms is flexible, but the discharge of ammunition and modification of firearms is appreciably more regulated.)

As to the OP's question, I detest hair triggers. All accidental discharges I have seen was as a direct result thereof. Their perceived benefit is aimed at target shooting, not hunting.

Banned

There is no good sense in inviting trouble.

Neither is there sense in denying an avid young hunter a little pleasure.

It is time for diplomacy. Bargain with him to adjust or polish the trigger that it performs better, but without becoming dangerous.

User

I did not know you had to be a gunsmith to adjust an adjustable trigger.

On a side note; atunguyd and AJR's posts should have been PM's to treeman.

User

On my last hunt with my CZ550 .30-06, I slightly pulled a shot, resulting in a wounded animal. I am sure that the heavy factory trigger contributed to this. I have since replaced the factory trigger blade with one from Rifle Basix which has made a tremendous difference. Its lighter and more crisp. It has also improved my shooting from sticks, so lighter trigger has helped me shoot better.

On the flip side, I have heard a hunting acquaintance talk about one of his buds that shot through a bakkie door when he threw his rifle on the seat, resulting in the light trigger going off, so too light aint good. (The buddy has never received another hunt invite after that incident)

User

I actually think it's perfect when members can spot and call out illegal behaviour on a public forum. Trying to hide it doesn't do anyone any good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I actually think it's perfect when members can spot and call out illegal behaviour on a public forum. Trying to hide it doesn't do anyone any good.
    Absolutely correct,
    As per he "admin" post where self regulating is mentioned.

I will discuss this in my next post.

Banned

I am not going to quote every post.
    First - aftermarket triggers are owner adjustable and are so to suite a range owner adjusted needs. You do not need to be a gunsmith to adjust a trigger a scope or length of stock.

Getting his own rifles out, yes we work at the same table in same room when cleaning weapons, when we go to some farms, those where we do more target and fun stuff shooting, a large array of toys go with. Usually the non-hunting or specialized weapons, we shoot a lot on "non-hunting" trips and there is always some after hunt toy for long range plinking or hand gun learning.
    These weapons are put in safe when getting home. The evening after getting home or next evening (weapons are cleaned after all packing away, eating bathing etc is done - last part of every trip)
    Cody has been involved in cleaning since about 10 years old. Yes - I sit on my arse and he fetch's and packs away. Yes he can fetch any other weapon at that time as well. I clean barrels and glass, he oils.
    The fetching his rifle to adjust trigger was just enthusiasm and the assumption that it was like making coffee - just gets done. The post was because he was saddened by it not just being done there and then. Can we set my trigger when we do rest?
    Please, make no mistake, Cody cannot just fetch keys and get a weapon out the safe.
    Alarm, key, alarm and key again.

Using rifle - I feel, believe that within the perimeters of how we do our hunts and where we do so, if I were to end up in court to argue it I would come out just fine.
    I would not have left Cody alone (will quantify that shortly) 2 years ago, but I am well satisfied that he is long capable of sitting at a spot watching a shooting line.
    Alone, well to me that is out of touching distance, and sometimes out of sight, call it temporary sight standing up or stepping back a few paces will re-establish sight.(Purely because I fear for his safety from other things we have to call human)
    Sometime at a line of sight V in clearing Cody will cover one area and I the other side, for instance, those long rows of bush left with fields between that are created when bush is pushed for land with wind breaks between, he sits one side I the other. We could shout but would not want to, I could stand and up look over, but again!
    I feel after he has been set up, by myself and placed by myself, has been trained by myself and is right there by me but not holding my hand, he is still under my direct supervision.

He is always close enough to me that I feel he is safe by me in this country and its problems, he is never yet given a rifle and allowed to go for a walk alone. Too many directions, too many risks and too many unknowns.

Allowing Cody to go with the PH, let’s look at this one. He was not allowed to pick up a rifle and go with some stranger 9even a PH) on a hunt somewhere inland where he and said stranger would wonder about and do as they please with my rifle.
    In the for-mentioned case, at a specific time, on a specific day on a specific farm, in a specific set aside area, in planned and for - discussed manner and duration of time with a specified person qualified and certified in the task at hand, my son used my licenced rifle for a period of time to carry out a planned hunt on a farm that I was present at.
    PH’s do this all the time with farm rifles, with rifles licenced to the lodge etc., seldom with a rifle licenced to themselves.
    I am satisfied that if the law had to examine the course of events it may find parameters of the law which need amending to encompass the realities of hunting. I personally after much thought as my boy was growing have come to the conclusion that the law is not blatantly being flaunted.
    All the above is within the realistic realms that occur during hunting and the growing up of thousands of young hunters not just in RSA, but worldwide.
    I hope I am correct in all the above.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast