Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The light trigger and a 13 year old dilemma.

Could we perhaps discuss the light trigger for a young shooter. I feel its still a bit early, not for human safety, but for shooting a animal perhaps fractionally before intended.
    The rifle is loaded when shooting, not before.
    The guy whose rifle went off when he put it in the vehicle is a ******s, the weapon should have been safe long before he got to car. Long before he put it away. Long before he approached others.

User

Grin. I googled about gunsmiths' opinions around trigger jobs, and found this (merely as food for treeman's thought).

" I have had many customers ask me to work on their triggers, Glock, M&P, XD what have you. I respectfully refuse due to the liability of it. If that weapon is involved in anything the person could easily say the trigger was so light it just went off. I had the trigger worked on by (insert patsie here). I will change out parts no problem, but as far as physically modifying, or altering the fire group, no way.
    Quite a few shops and smiths are going this route because of all the lawsuits and finger pointing."

This was a reply to a question raised, as:

"
    So I called a gunsmith at the local shooting range/gun shop to see about smoothing out and maybe lightening the trigger on my RIA 1911. It's petty decent as is, just wondering how much it would cost to make it better, ya know? I'd do it myself via youtube video(s) but I figured the cost of the sear jig plus the stones would exceed what a gunsmith would charge. The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable on the phone, very polite and professional but declined to do any work on existing parts. :dunno: He said it would be a liability to do any stoning on the sear/disconnector/hammer and suggested I buy one of those drop-in trigger kits. Like from Cylinder & Slide or whoever. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a gunsmith? It's like a mechanic not fixing anything, just swapping in new parts. Sorry for the rant but Wtf??"

Now, janfed is correct. You don't need to be a gunsmith to lighten an adjustable trigger. The point is, though, will janfred lighten my trigger for me if he understands that if something goes wrong, he could potentially share blame?

Now, lets extrapolate that scenario and see what happens when a 13 year old lightens his dad's registered rifle, under dad's supervision? One should remember the problem does not arise when the avid young hunter shoots well, but hell breaks loose when that avid young hunter shoots someone through the face in setting his dad's wonderfully shooting lightened trigger - rifle down, and someone gets hurt.

It is a place even gunsmiths fear to tread, not true?

User

@treeman. How light is too light? And would it matter in Cody's case?

From all your stories on GS,it seems that you have educated him very well in terms of safety, gun handling, hunting etc. Regardless of the weight that his trigger is set, he won't be throwing a (loaded)rifle into a bakkie, point it at people or animals that he isn't "actively" hunting.

Worse case scenario? Accidental discharge while "actively" hunting, but not on target, resulting in missed shot or wounded animal.
    The scenario of someone getting shot, won't be due to a light trigger but rather due to negligence in handling a firearm( bakkie door incident referred to previously). To blame that on the trigger, rather than on poor behaviour and gun handling, is incorrect.

I would make his trigger a little bit lighter, then do some dry fire exercises simulating what is likely to happen during a hunt. This will help him to get used to lighter trigger and show if it could lead to an AD during hunting.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Treeman, my opinion for Codys age (my own youngster is 12 currently and we do shoot a lot together, so I am familiar with teenage boys and rifles and their way of doing things), is to not lighten the trigger and if the trigger is worked on it must still have a definite increase needed in pressure before breaking clean. Not creeping, just being able to define the moment when any more pressure is going to let the shot go off. HEavy creeping triggers are supposed to be more to the safe side, but it mess with accuracy a lot for them. A crisp break should be feasible.
    These youngsters are having fluctuating hormones still and that influence their moods and moods influence how they go about things. This is exactly why on some days they do the most stupid things (not firearm related per se), irritate their dads and especially the mothers and on other days they are the sweetest little cuddly boys. With too light a trigger and on an irritable hormone level day that cause impatience and grumpyness there might be a bad shot forthcoming.

On the other subject: I believe the law ask "direct control" from us as fathers. When setting him up at a definite sitting position with only one line of possible fire and you know that he knows the rules and will not use another shot path and have direct radio contact for instance and you not leaving for town or whatever but are close enough to control the situation I would think it is fine. Myself don't allow my son any further than arms length from myself when hunting or handling firearms as he has to date not showed that he can keep things under control. He still gets too exited when spotting the warthogs for instance between the trees in the orchards and might turn with the weapon in a not safe direction or load the rifle and only make it safe again later etc. It will differ between different kids, but when the day comes where the situation feels under my control in such a way that I will loose firearms and get jail time if things go wrong if he is getting a little freedom it will not happen.

User

I think you need to get yourself a trigger pull gauge and check your trigger weights 1st.
    In my opinion, a 4-6lb pull weight is not "light" and should not go off with a touch. That only happens when you down near the 2lb area. AD from bumping and being rough also happens around this area and lower.
    There is definitely to heavy and to light. My Remington 700 came out the factory, with an 8lb trigger that could not be adjusted. All due to some Yank shooting, fiddling with his trigger and shooting himself.

Regardless of the other "points of discussion", it's your rifle and at the end of the day you are going to do what suits you.
    Heavy trigger, light trigger, short stock, long stock, bull barrel, sport barrel, etc... you modify your firearms to your wants and desires.
    My son also shoots a lot with me and has an extremely good understanding of firearms and their capabilities. As his father, I am aware of HIS capabilities and my own responsibilities towards him and in saying that, no matter how good he is or how good an idea seems I must make sure to reduce the risk of him being involved in a FA accident, which he would spend the rest of his life regretting.

My FA's triggers, weights, lengths, etc are all different and I think it is right that my son learns to use multiple weapons and set-ups. He is not a professional and does not require modifications that suit him..... yet.
    But as I said "Regardless of the other "points of discussion", it's your rifle and at the end of the day you are going to do what suits you."

User

My Rem 700 came from the factory with an adjustable trigger. It's got nothing to do with some Yank. It's how it's made. Cheap, for military use, because that's what the Rem 700 is.

Banned

I have had some good add to my thoughts added, Bonedoc,Adoons woddsie ETC thank you.
    All triggers are Thor and Timney, there will be no mods, just screw in - screw out. That comment about definite change in force needed rung home.

I think I will leave them as is and promise him a adjustment for next b/day - a year away.
    just better I think.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    My Rem 700 came from the factory with an adjustable trigger. It's got nothing to do with some Yank. It's how it's made. Cheap, for military use, because that's what the Rem 700 is.
    The in the last few years model 700's triggers are no longer adjustable and they come standard, set at 8lb.
    Many an article with regards to the dodgy triggers and the change to a simpler trigger due to the original trigger and the fatalities/injuries it caused.

I shoot with my children, so I do understand the dilemma. Off a bench, in a safe environment, a light trigger gets tight groups. In the field, loading and unloading, safety off/on , bumps, etc, I don’t want a light trigger. I’ve got a trigger weight, which delivers 1.6 kg, and I set all my triggers the same, for target and hunting. No creep and can just sustain a light sideways slap to the stock while holding the weight.

In my view, having a consistent and moderate trigger in the field is better and safer for children. And with practice, everyone can still shoot well with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

picture of that hunt, the dogs are 6 months and 9 months - found animal rather easily.
    Note the entrance wound, I have found this shot placement and achievement to be directly related to the light trigger.
    IMG-20210207-WA0012 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast