Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: The light trigger and a 13 year old dilemma.

Treeman. Like i said , a good clean crisp let off on a hunting rifle trigger is all it takes [in that particular aspect]

Get the notion of needing a light trigger or attributing success to a light trigger out your head.

Gonna end in tears mate.

Banned

Pre I will agree with you on the good clean break. The need for a lighter trigger is real though, until about two weeks ago I did not know just how much differance his little hand made to the effort it took to squeeze the trigger alone and not put whole hands muscles into action.
    I had a shameful break my heart moment where I lost my temper with him and let loose at his doing the same mistake over and over. After crying in that wronged worlds unfair way, it comes out that he just can not get hand around stock and still pull trigger, so he is using hand arm to create the motion. I felt like shit again Pre, I kakked him out and said things I can not take back.
    He shoots a dassie at 244 m with .204, he shoots those mini R7.00 cafe cool drink bottles at 200 with the .270 you were there.
    The .303 he is lucky to hit a paint tin at 100 m, his 7mm 08 has a Thor thats set quiet heavy he shoots it ok, hunting accuracy easily and some times even very well, impressively.
    The Ruger all American with factory trigger he shoots 3 inch group at 100m (crappest much vaunted trigger ever)

I am not advocating a hair trigger, but he needs some muscular relief, he is battling to be smooth with the standard triggers.

User

Try a trigger shoe. If Cody's hand is on the small side for the reach to trigger , it could also be a contributing factor.
    You get a trigger shoe that angles in slightly towards the shooters hand. The shoe does not lighten the trigger but the increased width makes the trigger pull feel a lot lighter and helps with trigger control.
    It really does make a diff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Try a trigger shoe. If Cody's hand is on the small side for the reach to trigger , it could also be a contributing factor.
    You get a trigger shoe that angles in slightly towards the shooters hand. The shoe does not lighten the trigger but the increased width makes the trigger pull feel a lot lighter and helps with trigger control.
    It really does make a diff.
    Yes, now that you mention it, I recall this - very effective tool indeed.
    I took them of my rifles because they were no longer necessary with the after market triggers.
    You may be onto something here ?

User

Also , don't judge a rifles [or any FA] trigger pull by dry firing. It will ALLWAYS feel heavier than when you actually shoot.

User

A good trigger can make a difference with respect to accuracy. I have also seen one of these "long distance" Creedmoor's go bang in the middle of a bakkie ride. So I understand the problem all to well.

I have a friend who was a gunsmith and did my triggers for me. He would set it, then bang the rifle around with a rubber mallet to make sure it would not accidently break, and that was it. If it broke under harsh treatment, then it was set a heavier until it was safe. I was present, and he would ask me if I was happy with it, thus passing on the responsibility.

All things aside with respect to all the above comments. It probably depends a lot on the 13 year old. There are some that I would never let near a rifle. On the other hand, I think Cody is responsible and is well versed in safe handling, and I think it would probably mean a lot to him to have the trigger lightened a bit.

Banned

yes, a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3