Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 303 Ammo

User

Default 303 Ammo

Hi,

I came across these 303 rounds, does any body have some info on them. all of the have different head stamps. Just for interest sake. Can one reuse the Brass?

head stamps as follow.
    1. K26 VII
    2. K27 VII
    3. K28 VII
    4. K30 VII
    5. K31 VII
    6. K36 VII
    7. K37 VII
    8. SAM 61 MK.7
    9. A80 7.7 R1 M3Z
    10. U45 VII
    20210219_155540.jpg

User

Default Re: 303 Ammo

Wonder if some of them still has the cordite sticks

User

As going to pull them all. Will let you know

User

A80 7.7 R1 M3Z is normal powder with a non corrosive primer- IIRC this was all all Vickers ammo and was available at some gun shops a few years ago. All the rest looks like your standard cordite/corrosive primer ammo.

And all Berdan primed !! So reusing the brass is not on especially also considering the age of the rounds.

User

Thank you, what would the estimated age be of these rounds?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Visserman View Post
    Thank you, what would the estimated age be of these rounds?
    At least 4 of the rounds may not be good for going bang and may be more Kellogg's like in response to being fired. That white around primers is either old Brasso (from a amateur collection) or corrosion.
    You can tumble that case 4 th from right as much as you wish and it will never become bright brass again.
    I must still research this matter.

User

How many of them do you have? If you have enough of them and you have time and patience, you can pull the bullets, burn the powder like sparklers on a brick, de activate the primers in oil, decap the dead primers, drill/punch a new center flashole in the case and then use them to reload with boxer primers. It will take a while, but would it be worth it as it will not be the most accurate brass you have.

User

#1 - 7: The 'K' stands for Kynoch the British company and the two digits are the year of mnfr ie. 26 = 1926
    #8: 'SAM' stands for South African Mint, Pretoria who apparently made around 70% of all .303 ammo used by the Commonwealth forces during WW2
    #9: PMP 1980
    #10: The 'Ú45' stands for Union (of South Africa) 1945
    All except #9 almost certainly Cordite but you may be surprised but they may all still be OK. Remember that it is military ammo so well sealed around primer and neck. I have used WW1 ammo that was fine. In case you are wondering how they got the cordite sticks into the case - cases were filled before the tapered body, neck and shoulder was formed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    #1 - 7: The 'K' stands for Kynoch the British company and the two digits are the year of mnfr ie. 26 = 1926
    #8: 'SAM' stands for South African Mint, Pretoria who apparently made around 70% of all .303 ammo used by the Commonwealth forces during WW2
    #9: PMP 1980
    #10: The 'Ú45' stands for Union (of South Africa) 1945
    All except #9 almost certainly Cordite but you may be surprised but they may all still be OK. Remember that it is military ammo so well sealed around primer and neck. I have used WW1 ammo that was fine. In case you are wondering how they got the cordite sticks into the case - cases were filled before the tapered body, neck and shoulder was formed.
    Hello Peter, always good to hear from your vault of knowledge.
    I too have shot .303 that was second world war and cordite.
    I have pondered how they got the cordite in since I was 12 years old and doing all thing dangerous and naughty with old cordite ammo - never seen it written any where, but i do kinda read half properly.

Do you have any knowledge on what happens when a case goes dull like # 4 from right and why it is right through the metal.

User

Wow this is so interesting thank you Peter. We have about 100 of these tipe of rounds. Tried shooting a couple but doesn't fire. Will be deactivating all of them. We have plenty 303 brass so would not be using them.
    I fine the history of these extremly interesting. Will pull some tommorrow and see. I have never seen the corodite sticks. Will post a pic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast