Default Shoot first, steal later – South African courier hijackings worse than ever

Anyone know if this has had a major impact on the transporting of firearms and ammo?

Does RAM and the other companies have armed guards these days when shipping guns and ammo?

I'll be having a firearm shipped down to Cape Town when my license is issued and would be most upset if it got stolen, not so much the cost as I can insure it but the many months of waiting for a license. I take it if it got stolen I would have to apply again from the start and couldn't just replace it with a new gun with different serial numbers?

Shoot first, steal later – South African courier hijackings worse than ever

Criminal syndicates and opportunistic robbers are setting their sights on packages being transported by couriers in South Africa.

This is according to Garry Marshall, the CEO of the South African Express Parcel Association (SAEPA), which represents a wide range of couriers operating in the country.

Among SAEPA’s members are large and small local companies like CourierIT, DSV, Globeflight, and RAM, as well as international players such as DHL, FedEx, and UPS.

Marshall said that while there were no accurate figures available regarding robberies of couriers, anecdotal evidence from these companies suggested that the problem was on the rise.

“When I speak to our members, they reckon it is worse now than it has ever been,” Marshall said. “It has escalated over the last six months,” Marshall said.

More

User

Default Re: Shoot first, steal later – South African courier hijackings worse than ever

Yes Ram has 2 armed guards per vehicle (not armoured), guards drive an unmarked vehicle and carry concealed to draw as little attention to themselves as possible!

Yeah if it was stolen it would mean starting the whole licencing process over again, I dread to even think about it! Also Ram doesn't offer insurance to cash clients, ie you need to have an account with them for your goods to be insured IIRC!

Default Re: Shoot first, steal later – South African courier hijackings worse than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Yes Ram has 2 armed guards per vehicle (not armoured), guards drive an unmarked vehicle and carry concealed to draw as little attention to themselves as possible!

Yeah if it was stolen it would mean starting the whole licencing process over again, I dread to even think about it! Also Ram doesn't offer insurance to cash clients, ie you need to have an account with them for your goods to be insured IIRC!
    Thanks good to know that they have armed guards should ensure a safe passage then, it would be Wildman Centurion that would be doing the couriering so I hope they have an account then as I would still like to insure!

As far as RAM's policy, that is a little stupid if you ask me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thanks good to know that they have armed guards should ensure a safe passage then, it would be Wildman Centurion that would be doing the couriering so I hope they have an account then as I would still like to insure!

As far as RAM's policy, that is a little stupid if you ask me.
    Get your insurer to carry the risk, it will cost next to nothing. When the firearms are in your hands put them onto your schedule too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post

Well had a Pump Action couriered to CPT first week of Jan 2021. There was no armed guards with delivery. They phoned me made sure I will be there with License. Ram Vehicle came. Two guys climbed out looked at my card cant recall if they scanned it. Made me sign and gave me the package. The three of still talked a bit. So not sure when you saw the armed guards. There was none with mine. Nor was the 2 armed delivering mine.

User

Can't comment if any guards are present but I had a rifle that I won at auction couriered from classic arms to Pretoria this month.
    I was a bit nervous as Ram did not offer any insurance and because it gets marked as a firearm but all went well.