Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Jackal becomes reality

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Very impressive. It seems to be accurate and it turns very smooth.
    It also has a lead button at 0:48
    That's pretty sweet, goes way beyond what we saw in The Jackal. No need for a man to risk himself, just fire from within the vehicle.

I cannot view the video at work, but about 10 to 15 years ago I came across a US website that had plans to mount hunting rifles on remote controlled platforms in certain hunting areas. The prospective hunter would pay by credit card and then gain control of the rifle for a certain time and would then shoot an animal. IIRC they had plans to process and ship the meat to the hunter.

There was such a huge outcry over this that I think it never got of the ground

User

If that scientist was involved in Nuclear, I think we all know who is technically able to succeed in this in that region.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    That's pretty sweet, goes way beyond what we saw in The Jackal. No need for a man to risk himself, just fire from within the vehicle.
    Doesn't the SANDF etc already have these on the badgers?
    I know the new VT4 chinese Tanks do

User

Similar tech is available in SA. If you think about it this is really no different from how a turret on a tank, APC or even a ship works. The biggest difference is the sight system (camera vs traditional optic) and the operator is not in the turret but is operating the system remotely. Really no difference if the operator is 1 meter or 1 kilometer away. High speed data transfer and component miniaturisation makes it easier than 10 years ago. The biggest drawback is that the operator loses a degree of situational awareness compared to having his head outside the vehicle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2