Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: which rifle, curious to hear your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    TStone I agree that it is a long process but I know of a few guys that buy a barrel and start the process long before the barrel is shot out.
    With the price of the mentioned rifles it is worth replacing the barrel.
    For a normal hunting rifle it is worth selling the action and buying a new rifle ,but with a LR rifle the option of a custom barrel where you can decide on length,twist and profile it will let you get the most performances out of your chosen caliber.
    I usually load 50 rounds for my rifle and try to shoot two times a month (25 rounds/shoot) lower rounds per range trip forces me to calculate each shot better and thus making it more worth the money and you get better at predicting the POI and being a better shot a LR.
    If you keep on shooting like this the barrel should last at least six years with the 6.5cm and 260.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It used to be a practical way to do it but recently this seem to have changed. Is it really worth buying a custom barrel if it is possible that you will have to wait several years to have it fitted or may, at this rate, never get permission to change it?

Would it be possible to buy and license a chambered barrel in your name (as you would a rifle) and then just swop the barrels when the first one is shot out?

thanks for all the valuable feedback guys, appreciate it

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    TStone I agree that it is a long process but I know of a few guys that buy a barrel and start the process long before the barrel is shot out.
    With the price of the mentioned rifles it is worth replacing the barrel.
    For a normal hunting rifle it is worth selling the action and buying a new rifle ,but with a LR rifle the option of a custom barrel where you can decide on length,twist and profile it will let you get the most performances out of your chosen caliber.
    I usually load 50 rounds for my rifle and try to shoot two times a month (25 rounds/shoot) lower rounds per range trip forces me to calculate each shot better and thus making it more worth the money and you get better at predicting the POI and being a better shot a LR.
    If you keep on shooting like this the barrel should last at least six years with the 6.5cm and 260.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It used to be a practical way to do it but recently this seem to have changed. Is it really worth buying a custom barrel if it is possible that you will have to wait several years to have it fitted or may, at this rate, never get permission to change it?

Would it be possible to buy and license a chambered barrel in your name (as you would a rifle) and then just swop the barrels when the first one is shot out?
    Would it be the same as buying a shotgun barrel?

I have a 308 and I would not let it go for any reason. I have shot it out to 1200m, but it gets pretty difficult at that range. Up to 800m is not too difficult. I have friends that shoot 6.5 CM, and they have pretty much no problem reaching 1600m, so 1000m is pretty easy.

And for manufacturer, my 308 is a Howa, the 6.5CM I shot with is a Howa. Value for money you can not go wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3