Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: How to remember scope turret direction

I don't know if it is universal with scopes but the rule of thumb with non-optics (Parker Hale peep sights etc.) was clockwise was for UP and to the RIGHT.

The marking on the turret indicates in which direction the point of impact moves. Same goes for elevation and windage. But personally, I do not adjust windage. For windage I use holdover. If you are shooting long range, the wind changes almost every shot (at some locations I have shot before)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    I don't know if it is universal with scopes but the rule of thumb with non-optics (Parker Hale peep sights etc.) was clockwise was for UP and to the RIGHT.
    Quite correct. Most target peep sights are opposite to scopes. The only sights that I know that work the same as scopes are Anshutz smallbore and air rifle sights.

User

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisXB View Post
    The marking on the turret indicates in which direction the point of impact moves.
    ...except when it doesn't: there are some German manufacturers who think it's nice to tell in which way the crosshair moves which is the opposite direction of which way the POI moves... I've got one such scope on one of my rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal.204 View Post
    I teach new shooters the "Right Hand Rule"

If you want the POI to shift in the direction of the right hand thumb, turn the turret in the direction of the 4 fingers...

Very nice explanation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2