Thread: ISP Query

User

Default ISP Query

Hi

Not sure if anyone has any knowledge to help me.

I am moving and checked with my current ISP and they do not have access to the fibre provider at the new place.
    The new ISP I have to go with (they own the fibre) told me that where an ISP cannot provide you with a continued service due to their not having access, the month notice falls away. Apparently there is a telecoms constitution?

Anyone have any knowledge here please? Google is not helping me and the ISP is being difficult.

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: ISP Query

Hi wthang

This is incorrect. You are responsible for the notice period if moving. You entered the service with them for the specific premises and package and if you were to want to cancel the service whether you are moving or not you have to provide the agreed upon notice. You can try and give them a call wrt cancelling early due to circumstances changing (usually the retentions department) but it's a long shot.

Which provider does the fibre in your area?
    Usually a ISP is not the fibre provider but some ISP's are limited to their contracts with fibre infrastructure providers.
    For example Afrihost might only supply clients who have openserve and vuma fibre networks but not frogfoot. (just an example)

Hope this helps

User

There seems to be some kind of agreement between ISP's of a calendar month notice, but it is not impossible to get around, and don't let them tell you that it cannot be done, but it is apparently highly unusual (will give detail below), but you may have to pay both ISP's for a month. It is not clear from your post if the double payment is what you are actually trying to avoid, or if the problem is that you might be sitting without internet for a month because the ISP is unwilling to release your line.... But let me tell you a story.

On November 28th, 2019 I submitted a cancellation request for my connection with Cool Ideas, and I was active on Afrihost on the very same day. It took a lot of strongly worded emails and several phone calls to get it done though. At the time Cool Ideas had constant issues (they were suffering DDOS attacks) but it made their service unusable for large parts of the day, so I basically told them that they were not delivering the service I was paying them for, and because I am completely reliant on internet for my work I demanded that they release my line at the end of the month, so that I can switch to a different ISP on the 1st of Dec. At the beginning of the cancellation request they informed me that the line will only be released at the end of December and that it was a 'hard rule' of my fibre provider, and that there was nothing that they could do.... But I spoke directly to the fibre provider, had them send my an email stating that they could switch my line to Afrihost the following day even. Even after forwarding the mails to Cool Ideas, they refused to budge on their 1 calendar month policy BS, and was adamant that this was the fibre provider's policy and not theirs, even with the email evidence that this was not the case. A few threats of legal action followed because of loss of income, and I am not sure what may have transpired in the background between the ISP's and fibre provider, but while I was WhatsApp chatting with Afrihost support, where they also stated that there is a 1 calendar month notice policy, my line was switched over to Afrihost... The guy was so surprised that he asked me for screenshots, because firstly he did not believe that it could be done himself, and secondly, he wanted to show others, because they won't believe him that they switched me to Afrihost the same day.

So, although it seems to be very rare to switch ISP's quickly, it is not absolutely impossible as some may want you to believe.

I started the conversation very civil, but ended up being a pretty big dick about the whole thing, because at first they avoided my direct question on when I would be able to move the line, which started making my blood boil after about 4 emails, and then kind of escalated from there, as they screwed up my address too, which made things even more complicated, as it took several emails and phone calls just to get that part sorted.

PS. from the very first email, I made it clear that I am willing to pay for the notice period, but I had to have the line moved ASAP as it was affecting my ability to generate income.

User

Thanks for the replies.

I am currently with Interworks as my ISP and Vumatel owns the fibre.

They are in top of it. They have really given me good service.

I'm moving to a spot where Vumatel pulled out of the installation.

Hitech ISP then came and laid the fibre and are the only fibre option available.

I was told the whole constitution thing by an employee of Hitech.

The guy just made me look like a dick in the end.

Interworks is post paid so I asked the whether they were pre or post. I was told post... I was also told I was activating my service after their invoices are generated so would get the last week free.

Two days later in following up because I'm not getting answers to emails and now it's pre paid, I have to pay pro-rata (at first) and then this changes to paying upfront for March before they install.

The invoice says 1 March and payment due 10 March.

Idiot argues with me telling me in wrong and he would never say that etc etc.

Eventually I get the installation today and am waiting for him to give me feedback on my pro rata invoice I am suppose to be getting for free.

Didn't make sense to me that they wouldn't just ad it to the next bill if using an automated invoicing system...

So ja.

He then comes up with telling me most ISP's charge penalties if you cancel before a year and 7 months.

Wasn't that way with interworks. I didn't pay for the installation or equipment and could have cancelled the same day.

Hate starting relationships with service providers like that.

Their Web page doesn't even reflect their rates. I'm going to be paying R750 for a 20mg line where their Web page shows 900 odd.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I am currently with Interworks as my ISP and Vumatel owns the fibre.

They are in top of it. They have really given me good service.

I'm moving to a spot where Vumatel pulled out of the installation.

Hitech ISP then came and laid the fibre and are the only fibre option available.

I was told the whole constitution thing by an employee of Hitech.

The guy just made me look like a dick in the end.

Interworks is post paid so I asked the whether they were pre or post. I was told post... I was also told I was activating my service after their invoices are generated so would get the last week free.

Two days later in following up because I'm not getting answers to emails and now it's pre paid, I have to pay pro-rata (at first) and then this changes to paying upfront for March before they install.

The invoice says 1 March and payment due 10 March.

Idiot argues with me telling me in wrong and he would never say that etc etc.

Eventually I get the installation today and am waiting for him to give me feedback on my pro rata invoice I am suppose to be getting for free.

Didn't make sense to me that they wouldn't just ad it to the next bill if using an automated invoicing system...

So ja.

He then comes up with telling me most ISP's charge penalties if you cancel before a year and 7 months.

Wasn't that way with interworks. I didn't pay for the installation or equipment and could have cancelled the same day.

Hate starting relationships with service providers like that.

Their Web page doesn't even reflect their rates. I'm going to be paying R750 for a 20mg line where their Web page shows 900 odd.
    If it starts like this I would tell them where to get off, because its not going to be nice should you need support at a later stage.

Whats your usage like, couldn't you get a fixed LTE package instead?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    If it starts like this I would tell them where to get off, because its not going to be nice should you need support at a later stage.Whats your usage like, couldn't you get a fixed LTE package instead?
    Usage vary but it's not huge. I've never monitored it. My current isp quoted me 2k for the router and 300 for the courier (and they're based close to me).

User

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    Usage vary but it's not huge. I've never monitored it. My current isp quoted me 2k for the router and 300 for the courier (and they're based close to me).
    Try Afrihost, I considered moving from ADSL to LTE a while ago.
    R1499 device fee and free delivery.

https://www.afrihost.com/lte/?utm_so...ntent=nav-main

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Try Afrihost, I considered moving from ADSL to LTE a while ago.R1499 device fee and free delivery.https://www.afrihost.com/lte/?utm_so...ntent=nav-main
    Thanks, I'll keep them in mind. Need to keep expenses low as possible for now.

Banned

Buy your own LTE router and take a sim only data deal from mtn for R399/month.
    300gb data

User

^^ that's what I did, even more cheapskate though, R 200 per month LTE, don't know how many gigs I get but I've never run out. But I'm not a heavy user.