Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Failure to feed

User

Default Re: Failure to feed

Thanks M43, big thumbs up to you for such an objective and informative technical post.

About 5 years ago, maybe longer a bought a box of 124 grain XTP's, soon after I began wondering as to the wisdom of doing this, possibly a waste of money.

Then lock down entered my life. I had a lot of once fired brass, cleaned it up nicely and loaded that 100 rounds and filled every magazine I had available.

Still pondering the wisdom of this, thinking time reminded me on the tests I've done on hand loaded range loads, left one at the bottom of the pool for 10 days, fired no problem. The odd primed case that ended up in the washing machine, primer still ignited and then re seating seated bullets a little deeper after crimping them actually resulted in the primers backing out a little, clearly airtight.

So with correct components and procedures possibility of rolling your own is not such a bad idea.

User

There is one thing I can add to loading your own HP's. Its not a "trick", its just the way things work.

If you load HP bullets make sure you use a bullet seating stem with a FLAT surface. (Even if its for a different calibre round)

With many HP bullets a typical bullet seating stem that has a hollow / dished surface (designed to load RN bullets) the hollow concave? surface will close up the hollow cavity to some degree. So you end up with a box of ammo that has varying lengths and different sized hollow cavities. and on not one round the shoulder of the bullet will be the same. Even Flat Nose CMJ's can get deformed by hollow seating stems and have different OAL's

Flat base bullet seating stems seat HP's and flat nose bullets perfectly.
    Hornady New Dimension dies are your friend when loading HP's. Or you could just use anything with a flat base. I used to seat HP's with a rusty old .45 ACP belling die. Worked like a charm. You just have to screw it out far enough. But a proper seating die is a better idea.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Thanks M43, big thumbs up to you for such an objective and informative technical post.

About 5 years ago, maybe longer a bought a box of 124 grain XTP's, soon after I began wondering as to the wisdom of doing this, possibly a waste of money.

Then lock down entered my life. I had a lot of once fired brass, cleaned it up nicely and loaded that 100 rounds and filled every magazine I had available.

Still pondering the wisdom of this, thinking time reminded me on the tests I've done on hand loaded range loads, left one at the bottom of the pool for 10 days, fired no problem. The odd primed case that ended up in the washing machine, primer still ignited and then re seating seated bullets a little deeper after crimping them actually resulted in the primers backing out a little, clearly airtight.

So with correct components and procedures possibility of rolling your own is not such a bad idea.
    I had a magazine that i forgot in my cargo shorts do a round in the washing machine. I took the rounds out, took apart the magazine to clean and lightly lubricate. Replaced with new out the box ammo. Saved the washing machine rounds to use at the range for practice. All but one worked in 15 rounds. So I think ammo can take a bigger knock than we think, but its worth being pedantic about making sure your carry ammo is as good as it can be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4