Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Failure to feed

User

Default Failure to feed

Had my first failure-to-feed yesterday using a CZ75 pre-B circa 1979. Was busy doing function testing of the first batch I loaded using a Lee Loadmaster. 230 rounds in, the recoil felt oddly light, the case ejected but the next round did not go into battery. When I ejected the mag I noticed I grabbed the wrong magazine. I mistakenly used the magazine with the store-bought S&B 115gr hollow point ammunition. Checked the rest of the rounds visually and seen nothing wrong. After field-stripping to check the pistol is still safe, I fired the rest of the magazine without further problems.

The ammunition in question was bought around July last year at Guns and Bows in Bellville. I originally bought 100 rounds, function tested 50 and kept the other 50 as carry ammo for going to the range and back. Might not be Ranger-T, but S&B is not usually unreliable as far as I know.

Anyway, attached are photos of the puff load case and one of the other. On the primer alone you can see that the round had extremely low pressure. Interestingly enough, the inside of the case is very clean, but it still has carbon fouling on the outside.

As an aside, all my own reloaded ammo worked flawlessly.

User

Default Re: Failure to feed

That's strange. Even a hand loaded squib would have some fouling inside the case

Banned

There seems to be a light strike on the primer on the right?

User

I've seen factory bought S&B ammunition blow up a semi auto rifle.

They aren't as reliable as you'd like to think.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    There seems to be a light strike on the primer on the right?
    I think it just looks like that because the pressure was too low to even push the primer back into the bolt face. Looks the same as when firing a primed case without bullet or powder.

Had a couple failures (seemingly low loads) of White Box Winchester 115gr 9mm earlier this year. 1 to 3 failures per 200 rounds. (bought bulk 1,000 round pack)
    Decided to weigh the rest in batches of around 20 on a digital scale.
    Picked up a couple more round that were under weight this way and discarded them through the dealer.

Next bulk pack was 1000 124gr S&B
    Haven't found any weight anomalies yet or had failures after 600 rounds ( 2020 head stamp)

Found a carry Winchester PDX1 9mm to be under weight on the scale
    Fired it on the range. Felt a bit soft but still worked.

I now weigh all my packs of rounds to see if there are any differences

User

Yeaaaaah S&B ammo is not the greatest. It's designed to be cheap. So are the hollow points.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    Yeaaaaah S&B ammo is not the greatest. It's designed to be cheap. So are the hollow points.
    Apparantly Winchester isn't too great either. I wonder if that is just the bulk packs. Bought some bulk Winchester ammo a while back and still haven't tried it.

User

Lots of factory ammo sucks ass. The factory T Rex slayer hollow point in your EDC might just be that one in a million dud... When the factory maybe made 10 M of that specific batch...It amazes me that people have the runny shits if they find out I carry home assembled (and QA'ed by me) ammo. (Not reloads, newly loaded)

But its perfectly normal to go hunt an elephant / lion buffalo or some other big thing that will surely kill you if it gets half a chance, with self loaded ammo...

If you can load one round perfectly you can load ten perfectly... and then 100 perfectly loaded rounds isn't such a big challenge.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Lots of factory ammo sucks ass. The factory T Rex slayer hollow point in your EDC might just be that one in a million dud... When the factory maybe made 10 M of that specific batch...It amazes me that people have the runny shits if they find out I carry home assembled (and QA'ed by me) ammo. (Not reloads, newly loaded)

But its perfectly normal to go hunt an elephant / lion buffalo or some other big thing that will surely kill you if it gets half a chance, with self loaded ammo...

If you can load one round perfectly you can load ten perfectly... and then 100 perfectly loaded rounds isn't such a big challenge.
    I have done the same. SD bullets are also cheaper than factory SD ammo and I am in control of the quality.

I shoot thousands of rounds at the range with no issue, so my SD ammo that went through greater QA is even better. If something fails it will be a crappy component, like a dud primer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast