Banned

Default Nosler Partition

Nosler Partitions, I only started using them when they came with Cody's 7mm 08, so do not have much history with them.
    The thing is however, every Nosler Partition I have recovered was accidental while working carcass at home. We would fields dress and then skin at home and suddenly hear the bullet land on the cement while trimming or de-jointing animal.
    I have begun to associate this phenomenon with the Partition bullet.
    Any one else found this?

User

Default Re: Nosler Partition

I have not noticed this with Nosler Partitions specifically. It is, however, not an uncommon occurrence, I have seen it happen with various bullets.

Banned

Me? Handgun bullets and Partitions stand out clearly in this regard.

User

I normally find bullets when the meat mincer starts making funny noises

Banned

Never gave it a second thought, it has happened to me as well but I cannot say that it only happened with Nosler.

User

Nah, you are looking at it from a bullet point of view instead of how you specifically use it.

Partitions keep about 70% of weight regardless of how you use them, the front core is designed to be soft and expands easily. If you start with 140gr and ends up at 70% that means you are below 100gr now, it rarely has the same penetrative power compared to a 140gr mono for example.
    So in that caliber, let’s say if the mono usually stops under the skin expect the partition to stop somewhere inside the animal, only recoverable when slaughtering.

Shooting the same size animals with a partition in a bigger cal like a 30-06, suddenly the bullet will go though every time and now you won’t see the phenomenon you attributed to partitions specifically.

I remember a few years back I shot quite a few cheap cup and core in the 308, they kept together rather well I even posted a picture in the bullet thread. Some bullets was also recovered exactly the way you described, where if they were barnes most of them would not have been recovered at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Nah, you are looking at it from a bullet point of view instead of how you specifically use it.

Partitions keep about 70% of weight regardless of how you use them, the front core is designed to be soft and expands easily. If you start with 140gr and ends up at 70% that means you are below 100gr now, it rarely has the same penetrative power compared to a 140gr mono for example.
    So in that caliber, let’s say if the mono usually stops under the skin expect the partition to stop somewhere inside the animal, only recoverable when slaughtering.

Shooting the same size animals with a partition in a bigger cal like a 30-06, suddenly the bullet will go though every time and now you won’t see the phenomenon you attributed to partitions specifically.

I remember a few years back I shot quite a few cheap cup and core in the 308, they kept together rather well I even posted a picture in the bullet thread. Some bullets was also recovered exactly the way you described, where if they were barnes most of them would not have been recovered at all.
    You have explained why I posted.
    I have been noticing this, but had not given it too much thought, just that i seem to find them in cavities or between muscle. Not under skin or trapped in bone, in chest cavity , in bowels, or between big muscles.

I was still thinking it must be the way the bullet works, but had not yet come to dawning of shedding X weight every time.
    Yea, that answers the "why"