User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Astra 6.35 CUB in South African Service?

About 2yrs back I came into possession of an Astra CUB in 6.35, the license was eventually approved last October and the card issued this week. on collecting the pistol (initially licensed under Sec 16) i noticed that it has a M in U marking. Now i know certain government departments were issued 6.35 Baby Browning pistols, for example Prison Services gave their officers these and my FIL was issued one when at NI. I can only assume the same would have happened with the Astra's seeing that this one has such markings.

Do any collectors on the forum know, and have details if so?

Part of the reason I ask is my card was printed as Sec 17 - private collector - the DFO said they'll fix it when I renew the license in 10yrs (go figure). My feeling is if I can i'll rather just draw up a motivation and keep it under Sec 17 as it will fit in my theme.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Default Re: Astra 6.35 CUB in South African Service?

My copy of the SA Army Stock list of 1975 lists 6.35mm pistols in stock and pictures an FN but comments '(Various Makes)'. If your Astra has the U/m stamp then it's a cert.

User

Ah thank you Peter, would I be able to bug you for a picture of that page? I’ll WhatsApp you now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    About 2yrs back I came into possession of an Astra CUB in 6.35, the license was eventually approved last October and the card issued this week. on collecting the pistol (initially licensed under Sec 16) i noticed that it has a M in U marking. Now i know certain government departments were issued 6.35 Baby Browning pistols, for example Prison Services gave their officers these and my FIL was issued one when at NI. I can only assume the same would have happened with the Astra's seeing that this one has such markings.

Do any collectors on the forum know, and have details if so?

Part of the reason I ask is my card was printed as Sec 17 - private collector - the DFO said they'll fix it when I renew the license in 10yrs (go figure). My feeling is if I can i'll rather just draw up a motivation and keep it under Sec 17 as it will fit in my theme.
    CFR are sometimes very helpful in forcing you to start a new theme...

I have a 9mm pistol that is issued under S16A ("Conduct business in hunting").

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    CFR are sometimes very helpful in forcing you to start a new theme...

I have a 9mm pistol that is issued under S16A ("Conduct business in hunting").
    Ya look it’s staggering considering the entire motivation and endorsement was for Sec16