User

Default Fines and Unlicenced Vehicles

Hi guys, could someone give me some insight please..

Vehicle licence disc was delayed due to the dealership not giving the licence disc on time. Despite numerous calls and BS on their part regarding backlogs etc due to Covid I had no choice but to drive the vehicle on an expired temporary permit.

I did make it clear that I shouldn't have to be liable for any fines should I be fined. I received a fine and now they say I should pay it, I can't see how it's my fault if they delayed the process..

Where do I take it further as the only response I received was you can fight it at your own cost and win.

Any help or idea's would be appreciated

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Fines and Unlicenced Vehicles

Perhaps speak to ombudsman, I had a similar issue some years back and the dealer had to renew the temporary license about 3 time. They should have done it.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

How much is the fine?

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Perhaps speak to ombudsman, I had a similar issue some years back and the dealer had to renew the temporary license about 3 time. They should have done it.
    Thank you

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    How much is the fine?
    R1500

User

Generally when you purchase a vehicle there is a on road fee to cover the registration and licensing of the vehicle, that may be your angle with the dealer/ ombudsman as you paid for a service you did not receive in time and this lapse incurred you a fine. Otherwise try Hello Peter or social media if they just fob you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

It's going to be difficult to force the fine money out of them since you were knowingly driving the vehicle in an unlicensed state, regardless of who was to blame for the delay in receiving the disk.

As an interim short-term solution, you can insist that the dealership provides you with one of their trade plates to use on your vehicle, until they can produce the new disk, which I think is only fair.

User

Not to put blame anywhere, BUT you should have forced the dealership to replace the tempory licence permit on or before it expired.
    The onus's is on you not to drive a vehicle which is not licensed on the road.
    Yes i totally get it that the dealership is inconveniencing you and it is their fault and their bulls**t that has got you in this situation.

Sorry for the kak comment. I know it is not what you want to hear.

User

Two things stand out in this thread.
    1. Victim blaming is alive and well in SA.
    2. Reading is overrated, especially the original post that clearly states that many calls to the dealership produced no results.

Bottom line the dealership got paid and is contractually obligated to provide you with a licensed vehicle unless the deal was voetstoots.

Telling the guy not to drive the vehicle is only a fair comment if there were a workable solution. Not going to work, buying food or dropping your kids off at school is not as easy in SA if you don’t have a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I went to renew the car after the license center opened for the first time.

Just because I am hardegat I asked the lady if I had to pay a fine if my license expired before the mandated quarantine started because I chose to put my health first and start quarantine a month or two before mandated- which I believe is my right.

She sommer got very defensive and after a bit of hassling said I am not allowed to do that and I have to pay.

The individual came second in my story