Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default SEEKING HELP/ADVICE REGARDING FN FAL PARA TROUBLES

Hi all.
    Im relatively new here on GS, looking for help advise, possibly parts...

I recently, last year bought a FN FAL PARA on auction,
    After the lengthy wait etc etc, finally picked it up this past wednesday,
    (I purchased on a online auction during height of covid restrictions, so never saw the FA in person, but had bought from same auction house before and their descriptions are good and accurate, with my experience.)
    That being said.

At the range yesterday, testing using pmp 143gr factory ammunition. I experienced a failure to reset trigger/ upon further inspection i found that the safety sear/disconnector is not being depressed at the very end of the bolt and carriers travel, so at least my safety sear works, and i did not have any detonations out of battery...

I found that the bolt carrier looks like might not be an original para carrier with notch cut in front for dust cover to engage and then slot into the reciever, upon further inspection, dust cover also looks wonky and does not slide in smoothly into top front portion of reciever, but the two meet on a way that is damaging both parts...

Another point of concearn is the gas block front sight assembly seems off to the right, as if barrel was not fully screwed in/ torqued, from my understanding the quality of the belgian assembled para models was impecable, not like their soviet counterparts etc...

My questions:

1. What does an original para dust cover front recessed portion look like
    2.what does a original para bolt carrier look like.
    3. When dropping that assembly bolt/carrier spring with dust cover in to reciever, does it click/lock together as 1 unit i.e. dust cover and bolt carrier in front?and then slides in as 1 unit...
    4. Where can i enquire to have these parts replaced with original para parts.
    5. Can i somehow verify the original configuration of the rifle through the factory sequence number ? Like email the factory for records etc? If so has anyone ever done this with any success?
    6. If this is some sort of adaptation/conversion/rebuild from std rifle to para, what's the complete process to have it done correctly as per factory? What parts would need replacing with para parts, what could have been modified/what should not be modified...

Im looking to learn about my rifle and its proper maintenance and generally would like to know if i got a para or a very very expensive faulty poorly converted std rifle...is this a trick to squeeze more money out the more desirable and scarce para type configurations?
    Also looking for more specific technical answers , not just the, "best take it to a competent gunsmith" kind of answers...(no offense to anyone please)

The auction house already told me to bring it back and they will fix everything, so getting it sorted does not seem the issue, but before i let them fix things id like to know how they should be doing the fixing so that i am more informed myself...and get a shortcut repair/fix on top of a already poor job in the first place...in a rifle thats possibly not original and not worth it in the 1st place...

Any comments/advice/help by anyone more knowlwgeble than myself will be greatly approciated...
    Any suggestions on gunsmiths i could get in touch with that are familiar with these will also be very much appreciated

Thanks to all , regards

0V8S8YYH.jpeg.jpg20210227_121949.jpg20210227_112916.jpg20210227_112852.jpg20210227_111941.jpg
    Last edited by Öperat0r; 27-02-2021 at 13:43. Reason: Want to activate reply emails

User

Default Re: SEEKING HELP/ADVICE REGARDING FN FAL PARA TROUBLES

There is such a thing as a DS arms para conversion kit which gives you a new lower with a folding stock and a new bcg.

Does the whole lower look new?

Top cover is para cover. Have seen those dents before but no idea how they get there. Does it have the tube within the springs that then slides onto the spike at the back of the top cover. Yes kept together by spring pressure so slide on as one unit. The carrier looks a bit different. Is this possibly a normal rattail carrier that has been converted. The modification of the front of the receiver where the front of the top cover fits into the receiver has been badly done. Yes not an original para. If barrel over or under clocked the piston will bind and possibly why functioning issues.

User

In the first picture the Para marked FO 88 does not have the recessed machined section on the mag well as you can see on the rifle above (FO 87) with the camo paint. So I doubt it can be an original FN. Iirc Brazilian Imbels were manufactured like this.

User

auction67

F88 7.62mm FN "Para-Fal" Rifle R 29500.00
    Rifle is built on the FN Belgian made type 3 receiver and is marked "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique". Rifle has 18" barrel. Includes carrying handle and is in excellent condition.

Banned

Hi. No not at all, most def does not look new. The whole rifle has been refinished that much is evident, hence my suspicions its some sort of rebuild...i would welcome a DSA para conversion!!
    I actually want the DSA foreend dust cover and pistol grip...

Banned

I can see once i stripped hand guards that the gas tube is slightly off to the right, amd the actual gas piston is binding somewhere, busy stripping further to see where, had to knock it out with a punch/dowel to get it to come out. I think barrel to reciever is not aligned casuing gas tube to be slightly out and possibly cauing all these issues..

Banned

The very same one. Yes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    auction67
    Yes same exact rifle and auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    In the first picture the Para marked FO 88 does not have the recessed machined section on the mag well as you can see on the rifle above (FO 87) with the camo paint. So I doubt it can be an original FN. Iirc Brazilian Imbels were manufactured like this.
    Type 3 receiver FN.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast