Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: SEEKING HELP/ADVICE REGARDING FN FAL PARA TROUBLES

Update:
    Definitely some geometry issue, when u place rifle upside down on flat surface, and fold the rear peep sight halfway so as to allow the rifle to stand on the ears/hoods or the sights, you get a wobble, so the sights in relation to each other not straight at all...

Banned

What would be easier?

Trying to screw in the barrel further into reciever, thus correcring sightvpost ppsition and gas tube alignment...or
    Repositioning the gas block a touch and also getting piston and gas tube straight?

I understand the barrel thing would further involve headspacing the action onve again, possibly having to replace the bearing/locking surface pin,
    Which is the mlee correct method?
    Are parts and experrise available?
    Thanks all for all the tine and effort in answering some of these questions.

With regards to barrel or gas block, you first needs to be determine the cause. Is it an original barrel or replacement. No way it came out of FN like that. If bore is ok it is fixable, possibly with a shim washer. Rather not fiddle with locking block. Parts are available from DS Arms in the USA. If the bolt carrier is a problem I have a spare. My big concern would be the fudge job on the receiver. Difficult to say from the Pic if that will ever look right. Also why is the piston rusted. Chad Gillie at Arms in Pretoria should be able to give you a better idea. Recoil springs can be obtained through the FN Fal files, think it is milsurpmonkey on that site.

User

Welcome to the world of FALs.

I purchased my FN FAL para (conversion) from the same auction house in 2016. Based on the serial number and proof marks, mine was built on a converted R1 with the barrel shortened to 18”. I did email the auction house recently as to whether the para conversion was done in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe or by themselves, but have had no response to date. An original FN FAL Para is a rare beast in South Africa, though the above-mentioned auction house did have a Rhodesian SAS external operation capture (subsequently camouflaged) on auction in 2009 - see below
    Attachment 32802

Since you mention the gas system is possibly out of alignment – one thing to check is that the gas piston is not bent. Remove the gas piston spring and roll the gas piston on a flat surface.

Also check that the gas piston without the spring drops freely into the gas tube so that several centimetres of the gas piston end protrude into the bolt area.

Your dust cover is the correct para dust cover as it has the para nose. A modified to para standard upper receiver needs to have the so-called paracut milled in the area were the gas piston end protrudes, that is where the front dust cover nib slots into – see attached photo of mine.

Attachment 32804

The DS Arms para folding stock assembly does not have a release button at the bottom like other para folders.

A good resource for the technical aspects of FAL Paras’ is Arizona Response Systems. He publishes a manual and DVD “The Gunplumber’s Guide to FAL & L1A1 Home Gunsmithing”. If you google hard enough you can find the manual online.

I am still trying to identify my lower receiver (trigger group). Based on my Falfiles research I think it is a Belgium steel para lower. The other option is that the para lower may be an IMBEL, especially since Zimbabwe did purchase some IMBELs. Does your lower have the rectangular locking slot in the recoil plate (specific to para lowers) and what does your pistol grip stud rivet look like? – see attached photo, as that is an identifying feature, as some manufacturer’s pistol grip stud rivets are smooth (IMBEL?) and other’s have a dimple inside (R1 apparently).

Attachment 32803

Banned

Anyone know where or who i can get a reciever vice tool from for this fn fal ?
    Thx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post

I purchased my FN FAL para (conversion) from the same auction house in 2016. Based on the serial number and proof marks, mine was built on a converted R1 with the barrel shortened to 18”. I did email the auction house recently as to whether the para conversion was done in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe or by themselves, but have had no response to date. An original FN FAL Para is a rare beast in South Africa, though the above-mentioned auction house did have a Rhodesian SAS external operation capture (subsequently camouflaged) on auction in 2009 - see below
    Attachment 32802

Since you mention the gas system is possibly out of alignment – one thing to check is that the gas piston is not bent. Remove the gas piston spring and roll the gas piston on a flat surface.

Also check that the gas piston without the spring drops freely into the gas tube so that several centimetres of the gas piston end protrude into the bolt area.

Your dust cover is the correct para dust cover as it has the para nose. A modified to para standard upper receiver needs to have the so-called paracut milled in the area were the gas piston end protrudes, that is where the front dust cover nib slots into – see attached photo of mine.

Attachment 32804

The DS Arms para folding stock assembly does not have a release button at the bottom like other para folders.

A good resource for the technical aspects of FAL Paras’ is Arizona Response Systems. He publishes a manual and DVD “The Gunplumber’s Guide to FAL & L1A1 Home Gunsmithing”. If you google hard enough you can find the manual online.

I am still trying to identify my lower receiver (trigger group). Based on my Falfiles research I think it is a Belgium steel para lower. The other option is that the para lower may be an IMBEL, especially since Zimbabwe did purchase some IMBELs. Does your lower have the rectangular locking slot in the recoil plate (specific to para lowers) and what does your pistol grip stud rivet look like? – see attached photo, as that is an identifying feature, as some manufacturer’s pistol grip stud rivets are smooth (IMBEL?) and other’s have a dimple inside (R1 apparently).

Attachment 32803
    This is super informative thank you. I will postvpics of the lower in a bit!
    Your recess looks machined neatly, around the has piston

Banned

My recess around has piston looks like some mampara took a dremel to it....GAWD!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post

Attachment 32802

Attachment 32804

Attachment 32803
    My gas piston gets stuck about 2cm into the tube from the front, whoxh leqves it shy coming out onto the bolt area, if i reverse it i can put it from bolt/reviever sode freely in the tube...hence i think its not quiet clocked /screwed in to reciever

Banned

Bore looks good and clean. No pitting or anything, shines like a diamond in a goats a$$.....

Banned

The handguard lools like it might have recieved a hit from the left, right at the front gas block area...
    Gas tube does not move freely at all, i took retaining pin out...
    And im not sure how its getting fed gas, as gas tube threads obstruct the port mostly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast