Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Default Re: SEEKING HELP/ADVICE REGARDING FN FAL PARA TROUBLES

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    With regards to barrel or gas block, you first needs to be determine the cause. Is it an original barrel or replacement. No way it came out of FN like that. If bore is ok it is fixable, possibly with a shim washer. Rather not fiddle with locking block. Parts are available from DS Arms in the USA. If the bolt carrier is a problem I have a spare. My big concern would be the fudge job on the receiver. Difficult to say from the Pic if that will ever look right. Also why is the piston rusted. Chad Gillie at Arms in Pretoria should be able to give you a better idea. Recoil springs can be obtained through the FN Fal files, think it is milsurpmonkey on that site.
    Hand guard and front soght assembly looks twisted, so not aure if got knocked from that side or got bent to the new geometry after "refurb job"
    Bore looks good, clean. No rust or pitting, shines like a diamond in a goats a$$...

If you might have a spare original para bolt , id be interested Just to have the correct parts...my next option was to try find a DS arms sand cut para carrier...

The reciever fudge/dremel job concearms me most aswell...

Not sure why piston rusted, but its obly like 2cm rusted, the rest is clean

Thanks for your insight. I will look up and make contact with Chad G.

Banned

Im trying to upload more pics. But think i must delete some first

User

Quote Originally Posted by Öperat0r View Post
    5. Can i somehow verify the original configuration of the rifle through the factory sequence number ? Like email the factory for records etc? If so has anyone ever done this with any success?
    The Belgium FN FALs usually have a unique production number (not serial number) stamped inside the magwell, however I am not optimistic that FN Herstal could give you the original FAL variant that your FAL was after all this time.

User

6. If this is some sort of adaptation/conversion/rebuild from std rifle to para, what's the complete process to have it done correctly as per factory? What parts would need replacing with para parts, what could have been modified/what should not be modified...?
    The attached photo from the same auction house shows the parts required for the Para conversion – however a standard FAL bolt works with a para bolt carrier. A para lower (not shown) or modified standard fixed stock lower is also required.

From what I can gather to modify a standard fixed stock lower to a para lower requires:
    Removing the rear tang for the fixed stock.
    Machining a slot at the rear of the lower receiver for the para folder, so that the folding butt does not rotate around its large mounting screw.
    Machining a rectangular slot in the recoil plate for the para dust cover tang (see my earlier photo).
    Machining the paracut for the front dust cover nib (see my earlier photo).
    Possibly some work to mount the rear flip sight.

There may well be other modifications - I am not an armourer.

Also check the headspace.

Attachment 32805

User

I found that the bolt carrier looks like might not be an original para carrier

When I look closely at your bolt carrier it seems to have had some welding or brazing work, which implies it could be a converted bolt carrier. A channel for the para recoil spring would have been drilled into a standard upper bolt, and the rat tail removed.

Attachment 32806

User

The handguard lools like it might have recieved a hit from the left, right at the front gas block area...
    Gas tube does not move freely at all, i took retaining pin out...
    And im not sure how its getting fed gas, as gas tube threads obstruct the port mostly ...
    Personally I would send the rifle back to the auction house to sort out these issues. They are good guys.

My understanding is that the gas tube should be able to wobble slightly even when pinned. The gas adjusting ring does mostly cover the gas port - usually a setting between 3 to 6 depending on ammunition and how clean the rifle is (and yours should be clean!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3