Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Cool Shot a champion pig today

Took a Lighty hunting last night, they have a dairy farm just past Sundays river and the B/Pig population goes through cycles of many, to so many that they start eating new born calves. They also if left alone slowly evolve from B/Pig scared of people to B/Pig chase humans from their territory.
    They actually get so used to people - cattle, they then feed among cattle and are basically weary of people and then slowly as they learn that the cattle do not harm them, they then start chasing the cattle, competing with the cattle at the feed lots.
    One of the farms dairy workers put it well. In the beginning when you come to the feeders you see the pigs have just left, later you may see a pig standing back far away waiting for you to leave so it can come back. Over the year, the pigs eventually just move to far side of feed pen when you arrive. Then one day the pigs barely move away and then they chase you from "their" feed lot.
    Some swearing and some shooting takes place for a while and the pigs become mega shy again.

The kid was telling me that they had just had their people do a few night shoots, got 6,4, 3 and then 1 per night. The boy recons you drive along and the just stand there not concerned, but after the yearly shoot they back to normal pig behavior.

So I took the boy and mine for a looooong drive, long because I can see nothing, the grass is waist high and I just follow the shadow of some last used farm vehicle path and the spot lights beam. The only time the driver see's anything is on the uneven terrain when the ground next to vehicle is higher than vehicle - boring indeed.

We saw 3 pigs, all in exit mode and the boys could not get a shot due to distance and running mode.
    The farm boy said next pig he see's thats too far I must try shoot it, generous of him, considering it was like 03 in morning and we only had like a km of bush till back at camp.
    30 seconds later the taps on roof cause lights out and motor off as I eject from vehicle and barrel over bonnet with scope on 9 x and both eyes open (thanks Pre64 for that lesson), I see the black moving from left to right at about 200 m on side of far hill. The animal is leaving area at a trot, not running not walking, quick walk. I can on a good day pull this off, and I actually need to drop this pig and seal my expert image/reputation.
    I want this farm and this boy to need me.
    The pig changed its cross walk to 45' away and then about 60' and up, front legs higher than back legs head up above back, but almost only rump as a target, very little of side of pig to be seen.
    I noticed a pig height bush come into scope picture and just knew my move. I drifted onto bush and the pig did what they do, it went behind bush and did a quick slow down to almost stop with body behind the bush and looked back to us.
    Eye to brain, brain to finger, muscle contraction released potential energy stored in spring. The spring released its energy and the firing pin travel freely to come into contact with some carefully selected chemicals that showed their indignation at the rude bump they got by exploding into action which really pissed their neighbor off, some carefully selected S355, known for its hasty behavior. All this anger caused some flatulence in the firearms internals and the bullet placed over the shell to keep the said ill tempered chemicals contained and dry was evicted from the home I had seated it in 3/4 years ago. This bullet, likely a piece of Rhodesian copper reincarnated many times since its mining then followed its only way out, down the barrel. I had chosen all this to happen at a specific time in a specific direction controlled by a electro chemical reaction in my brain. This caused said piece of brainless copper to enter brain of said B/pig and thereby cause further electro-chemical action to cease. The pig stopped deciding things and became various dish's yet to be prepared.
    The shot was picture book perfect, bullet just touched near shoulder traveled along neck and into back of head. Pig fell into the cluster it had hid behind.
    "Jaaawww Uncle Dave, did you see that?"
    I could have did the whole photo pose thing to make pig bigger, but not so into that stuff.
    60kg minimum, two kids one 16 years old can not load it. The lower teeth are 4 fingers long - I am having this skull done for a keeper.
    Bpig1 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
    Went back to bush camp spot and lit the fire, had a beer at close to 4 in the morning, and sat to watch the sea and the boat lights far out there, what were those electro-chemical controlled beings doing out there on their ships?
    The boys chatted, plans and silly dreams of adventures yet to be done, I looked out to sea, 53 years old now soon, my boy is 12 years 11 months, 21 days old - 13 in 8 days time.
    Best I make many of these moments now, the reaper man may already be making his own hunting plans.
    bpig 2 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
    Guess another beer or two is quiet in order.

User

Default Re: Shot a champion pig today

Thank you for posting yet another wonderful read, thoroughly enjoyed it.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Great read. Thanks Treeman
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Cool story Dave! Good shot in the dark!

Mooi

User

Waidmannsheil! Thank you for sharing this story.

Banned

Well done Sir.

User

Well done

Banned

I am rather so chuffed with the shot, one of those easy to envision, lucky to pull off shots.

Love the way the kid asked "yuslike did you see that?"

I just know that I will be a very much discussed name at Grey High on Monday, I recon 380 m and running full tilt by tea time.

User

Good one, Dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast