Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Annoying siren for annoying neighbors.

I wanted to type this 01H00 Am the morning, as I could not sleep, but waited till now.
    I complained about the loud music students are playing almost everyday before, but now I do it again.
    I've tried everything.
    This particular house is not registered at the University, therefore I cannot call or get assistance from that section in the University. I must say, they at least do something as the other student houses have become very quiet....
    The municipality is my only option now. Problem is, after calling and promised assistance and that a car will be send out, nothing happens. Not even once was a car send out. Unfortunately you must leave your address and cell number. I've been getting calls lately without anybody speaking. I suspect my number where shared to these students. I have my number for as long as I can remember but this nonsense of calls with nobody speaking started after I started to complain at the noise disturbance section of the municipality.
    What I can add is those guys that do nightshift does not even deserve 15% of their salaries. One day when I've phoned, 23H00 on a Thursday night, the guy was so drunk, I had to spell out the offending address 8 to 10 times. He phoned me back 5 minutes later and still had it wrong when he asked me to confirm.

I got a contact at the municipality. He really helped and send out a letter to the owner of the house, signed by his director. They took a week with this letter, but only because they were very thorough. In the letter the owner was told he is not supposed to rent such a small property out to so many students, that he did not request permission to make his house a business, or something in that line. He was told even though he does not live there, noise and everything else is and remains his problem. He was told that he can get a fine and or go to jail if this continues.
    This did help, but it got out of hand again. I will for sure write a complaint at the municipality again, but as in my title of this thread, I want to do more.

I thought of getting a loud siren that I can activate whenever their music plays too loud or at wrong times. Like this morning they only switched it off 06H23 this morning. This is Sunday after all. What I know from previous experience is that if Saturday went like this, they will just sleep it off and switch on the radio around 16H00pm today, on this Sunday. How must you enjoy watching tv with your family etc. They just do not care. So now I also do not care anymore.
    I want to put this siren on a pole next top the fence. They will not be able to see it, but they will investigate and remove it when I am at work. I want to plant it when needed and remotely be able to activate it. If I can annoy them with this they would not enjoy their music and might turn the volume of their radio down, or take the party elsewhere.
    I am genuinely fed up with these guys. It seems the owner of the house also gave up. The yard is not cleaned anymore. The grass is not being cut. The plants on the grass have grown higher than a meter. It looks like an abandoned plot. The garden was always maintained at least once a week.

What siren or device can do the trick?
    I am not willing to go over and talk to them. That will just be looking for trouble with these permanently drunk guys. If I shout over this fence a reasonable request to please turn the volume down a bit, I get the standard drunk response ''F off, F you, motherf etc''
    The high fences and trees/bushes makes it impossible for us to see each other and have a talk over the fence.

Any other suggestions?
    What more can one do?
    Its really not nice to hear loud amplified music for more than 16 hours continuous. It may not start out loud, but the volume certainly gets turned up as time passes.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Annoying siren for annoying neighbors.

Find out where their electricity box is in the street. Cut their power and lock up with your lock. Call metro police as they should come out and call the municipal inspector as he’ll issue a fine to the owner (have you spoken to the owner?)

Where do you stay?

Edit: wake the fuckers up now but know you’ll be entering a war with them.

User

Don't get a siren. Get a speaker.

And play Baby Shark doo-doo-doo all night long

User

I've lost the owners contact details when I got a new phone. But with the letter being send out to him by the municipality I got his email address now. I was CC'd in the mail that went to him, so he is very well aware of the problem and that it was me who complained. I wanted to send him a mail and just give him a heads-up that I will send a new complaint to the municipality this Monday, but decided not to.
    I was asked by the municipality to keep a proper record of all the times and dates they play their music. I have done so since November 2020.
    Strangely the students in that house did not go back home with this lockdown and the University closing.
    There they started with the music again, 07H19 on a Sunday morning. I wonder why they stitched it off for an hour. I thought they are sleeping now.
    When are they studying? It seems they are just here to waste money as its impossible to pass if you never study.

User

This must be so frustrating, but getting a siren will provide them with ammunition against you, and is going to annoy other neighbours as well.

You want to be able to gather the support of the other neighbours in this matter. Speak to them and find out how they feel about it; get them on your side.

You need to avoid escalating matters with the offenders, since this makes you equally guilty in the eyes of the law. I know this is difficult, but you need to be able to show before a court of law that you have done everything in your power to resolve the matter peacefully and reasonably, and have offered them the option of doing so as well.

You need to gather a portfolio of evidence of the problem, have a file of your attempts to resolve the matter, with dates, times and details. Keep log of the dates and times of the disturbances; make recordings of the noise nuisance and retain as evidence.

Best is to have things in writing for court purposes.

I'm not sure where you are situated, but it might be useful to get Law Enforcement or SAPS involved.

You may also want to obtain legal advice, but the owners and tenants of the property can be held legally accountable, since there are urban bylaws that protect you.

Your other option is to sell your house and move, although this would not really seem like an option to me, but a last resort, and might be easier than years of suffering and hatred.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    This must be so frustrating, but getting a siren will provide them with ammunition against you, and is going to annoy other neighbours as well.

You want to be able to gather the support of the other neighbours in this matter. Speak to them and find out how they feel about it; get them on your side.

You need to avoid escalating matters with the offenders, since this makes you equally guilty in the eyes of the law. I know this is difficult, but you need to be able to show before a court of law that you have done everything in your power to resolve the matter peacefully and reasonably, and have offered them the option of doing so as well.

You need to gather a portfolio of evidence of the problem, have a file of your attempts to resolve the matter, with dates, times and details. Keep log of the dates and times of the disturbances; make recordings of the noise nuisance and retain as evidence.

Best is to have things in writing for court purposes.

I'm not sure where you are situated, but it might be useful to get Law Enforcement or SAPS involved.

You may also want to obtain legal advice, but the owners and tenants of the property can be held legally accountable, since there are urban bylaws that protect you.

Your other option is to sell your house and move, although this would not really seem like an option to me, but a last resort, and might be easier than years of suffering and hatred.
    SAPS told me they are not handling noise disturbances any more. They gave me the number of the municipality.
    So the police is out.
    Interestingly. One night they were racing their cars in the streets, revving the engines etc, every 30 minutes or so they would go for a race. They were just terrible that night. They raced after the daily curfew started. It was I think from 10PM to 5PM or something like that. They did not care for that.
    I then phoned the police to report not the noise, but the breaking of lockdown regulations, ie being on the streets when you are supposed to be at home. Even for that serious offence others got arrested for, the police never came out for them. So they know now they are untouchable.....
    That is why I want to get the siren and irritate them back. Perhaps a judge can one day if I get into trouble myself give me pardon looking at my situation of trying to solve this for months.

To move, yes that might work, but you can get bad people no matter in which neighborhood you live. My son lives with his mother, in on of the best most expensive neighborhoods. There are no students living in that neighborhood, yet they have a ''problem neighbor'' just 4 houses away from them.
    They also tried everything, neighborhood watch etc. Nothing works. My son tells me his stepdad, and other neighbors have started to throw eggs at that house. Its totally wrong and illegal, but it just shows you how frustrating things can become. My sons stepdad and his neighbor are really upstanding totally peaceful people that would not hurt a fly. But look now what they have become because of 1 asshole.

I would not throw rocks or eggs as with my luck I would hit someone and will then for sure be criminally charged. So throwing stuff is also out, but the siren thing, I want to give it a go. My neighbors will just have to understand. Hopefully I will only have to use the siren once or twice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBloodedHoodlum View Post
    Don't get a siren. Get a speaker.

And play Baby Shark doo-doo-doo all night long
    This will not work, you must hear their sound system. The moment I play my own music, they will just increase the volume. My speaker will be like a fart against a thunderstorm. The have a great system. Its BAS is very good, vibrating my windows without even pulling a sweat
    And that is with no distortion. They really have a good sound system.

User

Call 10111 for a Disturbance of the Peace complaint. They will go warn them, music goes down, but it will be turned up an hour later. Do this twice

On the 3rd time, open a case. SAPS will go confiscate the sound system if they do their job properly.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Another way of doing it, and this is hypothetically speaking.
    A friend of mine had a saying, "Don't get mad, get even"
    Maybe but some stink bombs (dunno if they're still available) or I see that TacQm has those Duke pepper grenades. One or two of those lobbed over the wall should sort out the problem quick quick
    You could also get some of those Atom bomb firecrackers and gooi a couple into their yard.
    But speak to all the other neighbors first and get them on your side, so that when these brats complain to the cops, they'll have your back

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Call 10111 for a Disturbance of the Peace complaint. They will go warn them, music goes down, but it will be turned up an hour later. Do this twice

On the 3rd time, open a case. SAPS will go confiscate the sound system if they do their job properly.
    I thought 10111 is only for real emergencies?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast