Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Which one of you lost a Boer goat ?

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    They are mostly, but not always, white with reddish brown heads. The breed has been exported to many countries and I have seen a few in the USA.
    Boer goats are quite common in central and west Texas. Very impressive looking when you see a 400+ herd.

There is a farmer down the road from us raises Hebridean sheep. They are the scariest looking farm animal around.

Banned

Yesterday I listened to the story below. By chance your story came up today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    My wife used to manage a small herd (±100) Boer goats. At one stage we had two orphaned Boer goat kids living in our house.From these experiences I can tell you that Boer goats are highly intelligent, yet, simultaneously, incredibly stupid, are unbelievably inventive escape artists, can occasionally be frighteningly aggressive and are always utterly stubborn. They are also very destructive and will happily eat anything from your prize flowers to whatever is hanging on the washing line. The kids (obviously not the hand reared ones with names) are good eating.
    From a theological perspective: The Bible states in Matthew 25:31-33 : "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left." Anyone who has farming experience with goats understands this figure of speech perfectly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    My bliksem, shows you what I know about farm animals! Here I was under the impression that all domestic goats are "boerbokke", (i.e. goats you farm with), I honestly did not know it's a specific breed. Consider me slightly more educated!
    Around the northern regions we have mainly 2 goat breeds, the boerbok and the other type. The "other" could be loosely described as BEE-accredited goats or something similarly politically correct. The main difference between the 2 breeds is that the former is somewhat picky about it's diet and is easily stolen. The latter can survive on anything, including plastic bags, and never ever gets stolen. There may be other subtle differences. Elsewhere in ZA you get all sorts of milk goats, Kalahari Reds etc, etc.

Lots of Boer goats over here in Aus too.

I have seen them on coastal frms, inland, wherever in Queensland.

Lots of Boers too intbe Tablelands region of Cairns- when we first arrived in 2007 we were the token English speaking Saffers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2