Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default How to remember scope turret direction

I have been shooting for decades and using scopes for decades but every time I have to adjust I have to figure out whether the left, right, up and down on the turret moves the crosshairs or the bullet.

Do you have a rhyme or is it just stuck in your head? Did you have to make an effort to remember? How?

User

Default Re: How to remember scope turret direction

Most scopes indicate the change in POI

User

You screw it.

On windage when you screw it in the screw goes left; poi goes left.

You screw it down, poi goes down.

User

this what I use. No guessing.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    You screw it.

On windage when you screw it in the screw goes left; poi goes left.

You screw it down, poi goes down.
    ^^^ This

Just imagine the turret being a screw that pushes against the barrel. You screw it down, POI goes down etc.

Now you just have to remember which way a right hand thread goes. This becomes easy with some practice for some. Others struggle forever.

Someone should patent printing for example L for left and R for Right on Windage. Then when you want POI to move Right you turn towards R as indicated. Maybe even add an arrow for direction to turn. Wait a minute!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I have been shooting for decades and using scopes for decades but every time I have to adjust I have to figure out whether the left, right, up and down on the turret moves the crosshairs or the bullet.

Do you have a rhyme or is it just stuck in your head? Did you have to make an effort to remember? How?
    On modern scopes it moves the PoI in whichever direction is printed on the turret. If the arrow pointing clockwise says D, then the PoI moves DOWN when you move the turret in that (clockwise) direction.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Someone should patent printing for example L for left and R for Right on Windage. Then when you want POI to move Right you turn towards R as indicated. Maybe even add an arrow for direction to turn. Wait a minute!!
    That is half of my problem, I arrive thinking logic rules but then I have to remember that the turret shifts the bullet. I don't understand how they figured this would work because in my mind the bullet goes where the barrel aims, IT IS NOT OFF, the scope is, so you have to shift the scope. The scope goes where I tell it but atm that is not how the turrets work because you are screwing in the opposite direction of where the reticle should move and now I have to remember that every time I get there...just how my brain works, I forget every time.

Krieger that would be awesome. That product is probably way more popular than we think.
    I have tried doing the same with an old Bushnell Banner bullet drop compensator scope that shows the distance with a window on the turret and have had plenty fun testing and marking it off because it does not come with a 22lr turret. With a 22 on 4 magnification it is useful up to about 150m on rabbit sizes.

Thanks Janfred and AR. That explanation sorts out having to look at the turret every time. If I can just remember that you guys mentioned POI all my problems are sorted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Do you have a rhyme or is it just stuck in your head?
    I teach new shooters the "Right Hand Rule"

If you want the POI to shift in the direction of the right hand thumb, turn the turret in the direction of the 4 fingers...

User

I see what you mean, the turret is in your grasp and you are turning in the direction of your fingers.

See you have to draw a picture for some moegoes. Baie dankie Jackal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast