Default SAPS :State of forensic testing

Saw on the news today that the SAPS division that is supposed to do forensic tests has not done any tests this year. Some results are still outstanding after 2 years ? How is it possible that the management in the SAPS does not attend to the matter ? I suppose they will blame Covid for their incompetence.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: SAPS :State of forensic testing

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Saw on the news today that the SAPS division that is supposed to do forensic tests has not done any tests this year. Some results are still outstanding after 2 years ? How is it possible that the management in the SAPS does not attend to the matter ? I suppose they will blame Covid for their incompetence.
    I think this leads back to their failure to pay the license fees for the software that runs the forensics and also their own firearm issue database. Apparently they have now commissioned a 'fortunate son' to write their own software rather than settle their outstanding bill.

We can look forward to many more years of incompetence before they figure out that systems design is not buying horses.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Yes I think you are correct. The standard answer to questions "we are off line"
    The clever officials with "vast experience" are now silent or directing their incompetence somewhere else. I remember that a number of years ago the forensic division received (for free) DNA analysing equipment from the FBI + a number of the members also received training. I wonder what happened to the equipment and the experts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think this leads back to their failure to pay the license fees for the software that runs the forensics and also their own firearm issue database. Apparently they have now commissioned a 'fortunate son' to write their own software rather than settle their outstanding bill.

We can look forward to many more years of incompetence before they figure out that systems design is not buying horses.
    A "fortunate son" writing a piece of complex mission critical software. What could possibly go wrong? It will also likely cost R40m like the Freestate website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    A "fortunate son" writing a piece of complex mission critical software. What could possibly go wrong? It will also likely cost R40m like the Freestate website.
    40 M will be a bargain. Expect 400 M. And it still wont work.

User

Pretty much like our metro billing department down here. The old system was functional, but for a few bar the city could get a better one. A few bar became a few hundred bar, then snowballed into a billion plus. Makes sense doesn't it.

User

Interesting. An acquaintance of my mom came home while 3 invaders were still in the house. First guy tried to attack her, dog grabbed him by the neck and the perp died. The other 2 climbed up onto a wardrobe to escape said dog. Woman pulled out her gat and instructed them to get off. 2nd perp jumped off and pulled a gun. Woman shot him in the shoulder. 3rd guy decided to climbed down and lay on his stomach. Cops came, morgue came. Cops took her pistol. She got a call about 10 days later to fetch her pistol from SAPS. This was a few weeks ago.

I wonder if the quick turn-around was related to the above.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Interesting. An acquaintance of my mom came home while 3 invaders were still in the house. First guy tried to attack her, dog grabbed him by the neck and the perp died. The other 2 climbed up onto a wardrobe to escape said dog. Woman pulled out her gat and instructed them to get off. 2nd perp jumped off and pulled a gun. Woman shot him in the shoulder. 3rd guy decided to climbed down and lay on his stomach. Cops came, morgue came. Cops took her pistol. She got a call about 10 days later to fetch her pistol from SAPS. This was a few weeks ago.

I wonder if the quick turn-around was related to the above.

Ballistic testing is up to the IO, probably a decent cop that didn't feel the need to waste everyone's time.