User

Default Steel for a custom knife

I'm thinking of getting a custom knife made for working venison, in a shape that I find useful (like a mini butcher knife), with a takbok horn handle.

It's going to be my main working blade for this purpose, so I need to pick out a steel that will sharpen easily on a staff sharpener, or warthog system.

I am quite fond of the steel used in the Victorinox and Wusthof knives, and would like a knife steel with similar or better properties.

Can anybody recommend a steel that will suit this purpose to make a custom knife from?

Default Re: Steel for a custom knife

I would recommend Bohler N690 or Lohmann L4528. They are similar stainless steels, readily available in SA, and has reasonable edge retention and sharpenability and is used by most custom knife makers. They also have fairly straight forward heat treatment procedures - less chance of messing it up.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by XPlicitly View Post
    I would recommend Bohler N690 or Lohmann L4528. They are similar stainless steels, readily available in SA, and has reasonable edge retention and sharpenability and is used by most custom knife makers. They also have fairly straight forward heat treatment procedures - less chance of messing it up.

I second this choice. Have used it successfully as the sharp part of some machines.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 View Post
    I have an old Winchester skinning knife (1978-85?) in 440c, it's always been good for meat processing, and a few strokes over a butchers steel now and again keeps it very sharp.
    This knife was handmade in Japan, long before they started using the Chinese rubbish to cut costs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by XPlicitly View Post
    I would recommend Bohler N690 or Lohmann L4528. They are similar stainless steels, readily available in SA, and has reasonable edge retention and sharpenability and is used by most custom knife makers. They also have fairly straight forward heat treatment procedures - less chance of messing it up.Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
    I have worked with these. They are basically stainless tool steel, and can be hard to sharpen. The hardening and tempering of the steel is quite important. 57-58 Rockwell should be ideal. Victorinox is surprisingly soft (maybe 56 Rockwell?) which is why it sharpens so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have worked with these. They are basically stainless tool steel, and can be hard to sharpen. The hardening and tempering of the steel is quite important. 57-58 Rockwell should be ideal. Victorinox is surprisingly soft (maybe 56 Rockwell?) which is why it sharpens so well.
    2x 1 hour tempering cycles at 200°C should get you down to 57 Rockwell. I 100% agree that anything above 58Rc would be a nightmare to sharpen without a belt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a custom knife made for working venison, in a shape that I find useful (like a mini butcher knife), with a takbok horn handle.

It's going to be my main working blade for this purpose, so I need to pick out a steel that will sharpen easily on a staff sharpener, or warthog system.

I am quite fond of the steel used in the Victorinox and Wusthof knives, and would like a knife steel with similar or better properties.

Can anybody recommend a steel that will suit this purpose to make a custom knife from?
    There's a husband and wife team on Facebook, goes as Zee's knife supplies.
    Chat to the oke, he's got alot of different types of steel and ready cut knife blanks as well.
    Also, mosaic pins and handle materials. Basically, everything a knife maker would require

User

Most knife grade steels are very good. The difference comes in when heat treated and tempered. This is the critical process that determines a knife's character and performance.

After doing a lot of research, my cost to steel quality, and workability drew me to the 1085 steel. Can get it at a good price from Zee's. Although he didn't have 1085, he did have 1075. My templates are nearly done. Lets see how well they do.