Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Small Hands - Must replace Glock 19

This threat reminds me of my wife shopping for shoes. Twelve shops later and she returns to the first one because that was the best shoes available but still not 100%.

Stop asking the man about the gun, it is perceived problems and cannot be solved but by the user self trying, testing and feel.

This is all meaningless unless we have pics of him holding the gun.

User

Don't know what pics are going to change after the OP has explained what the issue is.

He is struggling with the trigger and his finger length. He's been told there are aftermarket options available.

Similarly I run an fbi mag release so I don't have to rotate the grip.

User

Kloppers in George has a Beretta APX. Grip is very sleek, and the trigger setup is very nice. But alas also striker.

The Glock 48 and the 43x are also narrower, but you have a 43 and seems not be sold on the idea. The 48 and 43x with a 15round magazine seems like a good compact option.

You can also maybe look at grip reduction, but I suspect you are not a Glock fan more due to the trigger. C75 trigger is smoother than the Glock and the trigger position seems to help your finger position on the trigger itself. This confidence then lends to better performance quicker. The inverse is happening for you and the Glock.

I was going to recommend a professional trainer, but your closer to me in George than the people I know in Jhb and Cpt. Sure helped me a lot.

Good luck. Sucks to not shoot your gun gooder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Small Hands - Must replace Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    You mean like, "Get a GLOCk"?

What is clear is that the OP wants a new gun and he doesn't want a GLOCK because reasons. He asked for suggestions for alternatives.

What is not helpful is forcing some to keep something he doesn't want nor that he has to get something that starts with G and ends with lock.
    Are your friends giving you shit because you shoot a CZ? Relax man, they just giving you a hard time like good friends should.

The OP is an adult. I am sure nobody can force him into anything.

What people have been doing are suggestion. The issue is that there is incomplete information. The OP’s problem is to say the very least “unique”.

But go ahead. Blame Glock users for liking their stuff. And blaming users for options to fix the current G19 the OP has, especially in our current situations shows you lack some forethought.

I would rather fix a crap glock than sit with nothing while the CFR may or may not grant me the opportunity to own something. Yes, replace soonest, but i the meantime maybe try a couple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Are your friends giving you shit because you shoot a CZ? Relax man, they just giving you a hard time like good friends should.

The OP is an adult. I am sure nobody can force him into anything.

What people have been doing are suggestion. The issue is that there is incomplete information. The OP’s problem is to say the very least “unique”.

But go ahead. Blame Glock users for liking their stuff. And blaming users for options to fix the current G19 the OP has, especially in our current situations shows you lack some forethought.

I would rather fix a crap glock than sit with nothing while the CFR may or may not grant me the opportunity to own something. Yes, replace soonest, but i the meantime maybe try a couple of things.

I think what people get frustrated with is this:

Q: I can't shoot my (other brand) gun properly, what should I do?
    A: Get a Glock.

Q: I can't shoot my Glock properly it doesn't suit me.
    A: Fix your shooting, get training, it's not the gun.

These conversations just turn into Glock fan threads instead of getting answers to questions for the OP.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    This is all meaningless unless we have pics of him holding the gun.
    As a professional instructor, I don't agree. Even a video is insufficient media for analyzing the actual problem, you have to be there, talk to the guy, watch him shoot and then you may suggest corrective measures if it is physically possible.

I believe LLTHB that you have developed a dislike towards your pistol and that is quite natural if you just cant get the hang of that particular weapon. Therefore even if you could make your G19 much better by changing the connector, tweaking this and that, I don't recommend you to waste your time and money beating a dead horse but look for alternatives just like you are doing right now. There are multitude of high quality alternatives on the market to choose from...and I feel a 'but' coming.

But we can't really suggest any of those to you since oxymoronically you are just like the rest of use: unique. Unique physically, with your mindset, with your expectations on how a perfect handgun should feel and perform etc. ad nauseam. This is why you have to choose one yourself based on trial and error, number one requisite being selecting one from a reputable manufacturer like H&K, Glock (sorry: GLOCK), CZ, S&W, Colt, Beretta (there's on nice Millennium version available on the forum I believe) etc. I wouldn't stare too much at the availability of magazines or spare parts if this is your carry gun, they don't usually wear down during your lifetime and magazines will serve you decades unless you use them as a hammer or keep dropping them on a concrete floor, but if you find this important it narrows things down at least somewhat.

After this first basis of selection comes the one that many find a bad advice, but with my experience as a pistol shooter and eventually as an instructor for over 40 years I will give anyway because it works:

Get a gun that feels good in your hand and stop listening to the mantra "it's all about training".

No it isn't. You will never feel comfortable with the pistol and you will never perform up to your maximum potential if you train to use a tool which isn't as compatible as possible with you. Army guys can't choose but you can and you should. In a firefight you want to bring your A-game to the event, trust me I know.

That 'feeling good' is a combination of ease of finding the sight picture, ease of manipulating the weapon's operating system i.e. its controls and the most important factor, ease of breaking the trigger without moving the gun when the striker/hammer/some pointy object hits the primer. First requisite for a successful shot isn't the often heard 'front sight-front sight-front sight', it's 'keep the pistol pointing at the target when it goes boom'.

Hope you do understand that any of our suggestions on the question 'which gun should I buy' are inherently moot because we are not you with your body and mind.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit: Damn, the Millennium was a Taurus, sorry, my bad...

User

I don't know where some commenters are getting the "he doesn't want a Glock" from. Which of the posts say that?

I was sitting with my 75 and a G17 (no back strap gen4) last night and compared the length of pull from the rear of the grip to the trigger. In DA I don't see a 75 being that much easier. My girlfriend has an easier time on the G17 than the DA 75.

OP HAS a G43. No complaints about it other than the capacity and it being small. How do we get to 'he doesn't want a glock' and 'glocksite'?

I don't see a subcompact double stack being much better here. The rounder grip of the Apx might be enough in the 'smalll' configuration. Support is getting better for them but still, it's no Glock or CZ. Worth a shot

So what are the thinner grip options? Let's stick to modern, polymer, striker like the guns OP already bought for SD

Sig P365 (potentially the XL? ), Springfield Hellcat, G48/G43X. Of those which would I choose in SA?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I was sitting with my 75 and a G17 (no back strap gen4) last night and compared the length of pull from the rear of the grip to the trigger. In DA I don't see a 75 being that much easier.
    If I carry my CZ85 I carry it cocked and locked just like my 1911, thus the trigger is quite reachable even with a smaller hand. There's the thing called 'external safety' for this carry mode

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    As a professional instructor, I don't agree. Even a video is insufficient media for analyzing the actual problem, you have to be there, talk to the guy, watch him shoot and then you may suggest corrective measures if it is physically possible.

I believe LLTHB that you have developed a dislike towards your pistol and that is quite natural if you just cant get the hang of that particular weapon. Therefore even if you could make your G19 much better by changing the connector, tweaking this and that, I don't recommend you to waste your time and money beating a dead horse but look for alternatives just like you are doing right now. There are multitude of high quality alternatives on the market to choose from...and I feel a 'but' coming.

But we can't really suggest any of those to you since oxymoronically you are just like the rest of use: unique. Unique physically, with your mindset, with your expectations on how a perfect handgun should feel and perform etc. ad nauseam. This is why you have to choose one yourself based on trial and error, number one requisite being selecting one from a reputable manufacturer like H&K, Glock (sorry: GLOCK), CZ, S&W, Colt, Beretta (there's on nice Millennium version available on the forum I believe) etc. I wouldn't stare too much at the availability of magazines or spare parts if this is your carry gun, they don't usually wear down during your lifetime and magazines will serve you decades unless you use them as a hammer or keep dropping them on a concrete floor, but if you find this important it narrows things down at least somewhat.

After this first basis of selection comes the one that many find a bad advice, but with my experience as a pistol shooter and eventually as an instructor for over 40 years I will give anyway because it works:

Get a gun that feels good in your hand and stop listening to the mantra "it's all about training".

No it isn't. You will never feel comfortable with the pistol and you will never perform up to your maximum potential if you train to use a tool which isn't as compatible as possible with you. Army guys can't choose but you can and you should. In a firefight you want to bring your A-game to the event, trust me I know.

That 'feeling good' is a combination of ease of finding the sight picture, ease of manipulating the weapon's operating system i.e. its controls and the most important factor, ease of breaking the trigger without moving the gun when the striker/hammer/some pointy object hits the primer. First requisite for a successful shot isn't the often heard 'front sight-front sight-front sight', it's 'keep the pistol pointing at the target when it goes boom'.

Hope you do understand that any of our suggestions on the question 'which gun should I buy' are inherently moot because we are not you with your body and mind.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit: Damn, the Millennium was a Taurus, sorry, my bad...
    I didn't mean a picture will be a be all solution, I meant it rather as a starting point.

You will very quickly be able to see from a pic if it's just a matter of having small hands if the trigger finger for instance can't reach far enough.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast