Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default My EDC experience so far.

My EDC experience so far.

To start with almost all the courts and bargaining councils I have to attend during my work week have safes to store firearms, which makes carrying all day easier despite my regular work areas being "gun free" zones. Just speak to security and they will assist with same.

Currently, the most comfortable (and easy to conceal) carry option for me is AIWB with a left handed Serpa Blackhawk IWB holster. I tried carrying IWB near the kidney but it's too damn uncomfortable (or maybe I should just lose weight).

The only downside of AIWB so far (other than thugs being able to grab my gun hand if I draw) is that my weapon is close to my groin and femoral artery, but considering Glock's reputation for trigger safety and reliability (unlike SIG or Smith & Wesson, for example), I am confident my chances of getting killed (or worse) by an accidental self inflicted gunshot wound are extremely low.

I have also ordered OWB holsters to evaluate and to give myself more options for concealed carry. Hopefully hip carry might be more comfortable and concealable with same. As always, I would appreciate any advice or feedback.

User

Default Re: My EDC experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post

The only downside of AIWB so far is that my weapon is close to my groin
    ...depending on the size of the groin

User

Have you tried mexican carry? No just joking - don't...! Getting that ideal carry position and holster may take sometime. Lot's of us have numerous holsters and tried various positions until we settled on the most comfortable one in the end.

Hi. Started yesterday with AIWB using a Cytac. Start of the day was thinking to myself “Not to bad”. In the afternoon I could not relieve myself fast enough from the discomfort. Adjusted, adjusted more and then even more. Would be ok for shorter periods of time for me and I will use it again but it was the reason I went and bought OWB today

User

Use a purpose made appendix carry holster, not an IWB holster in the AIWB position. It makes a big difference. We have a lot available locally at this stage

Your belt rigidity and tension also matter

User

I stopped reading at AIWB with a Serpa Blackhawk.

Just dont. Get a proper AIWB holster, the retention device on that holster puts your finger close to the trigger. Go read up on associated ND events with this holster.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

If not using one, get a decent gun belt.

Myself carry IWB on about 15:15 position for many years. What I have realised with IWB carry for me is that it gets uncomfortable when the pistil sits too high. Al my IWB holsters I used had the same problem for me. Even on the deepest setting some where still sitting too high. I modified them with aftermarket beltclips and/or drilling other holes to drop the holster deeper into my pants. Also with IWB experiment with the cant of the pistol. The design of holsters are to cant the gun forward. That also sucks for me. Mine are straight down. Agreed that the idea of the cant is for a quicker draw (easier to get hold of the grip), but as I am always carrying comfort vs 0,2 seconds slower or not carrying because of the pain has me carrying in the way I do.

To echo some of the above comments, maybe look at a purpose built holster if possible. Blackhawk and even the Cytac aren't great for aiwb. Consider Daniels, South West etc.

Good belt will also make a huge difference. Have a look at Kore Essentials. Been a game changer for me and one of the best buys in my edc journey so far.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Another contribution: First try to sort out a comfortable IWB or AIWB carry method before just giving up and try some OWB options. OWB always seems to be more comfortable (for a lot of people), but if you can get IWB or AIWB right it will always be the more comfortable way. I hate a gun moving on my body. The waistband keeps it snug and tight and not in the way.

Kydex for IWB also not my first choice. Hybrid holsters will always be more comfortable for permanent carry. Softer material against the body and Kydex to keep the pistol in place and not "pinching" it too tight for a quick draw.

User

If you have a Glock, then have a look at a clip draw and get yourself a trigger guard holster from Geoff Carter.

I have been carrying AIWB with that combo for years now with a CR speed edc belt and i find it super comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast