Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My EDC experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Use a purpose made appendix carry holster, not an IWB holster in the AIWB position. It makes a big difference. We have a lot available locally at this stage

Your belt rigidity and tension also matter
    Do you recommend any specific brands and models? And are they suitable for lefties?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Do you recommend any specific brands and models? And are they suitable for lefties?
    Hi Johann.

Glad to hear you having a positive concealed carry experience so far. I have to echo the other the posters here in that you need a AIWB specific holster for AIWB. I personally use a Quantum carry chameleon V2. They have since updated the design to (V3). It is a quality holster and my experience with them in terms of customer service and support has been great. I also use their "Companion" Iwb mag carrier. I also would steer clear of the Serpa, especially for AIWB for the same reasons mentioned.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

I carry a Mod 36 S.W. I hardly know its there.
    Ok now for the mickey taking...

User

Dedicated appendix carry holster from Daniels Holsters or Quantum Carry Holsters is a good option. If you get the right holster you can do almost anything with your gun on without much discomfort. On the hip carry will not conceal better. It also wont be more comfortable while driving. I've driven hours and hours at a time with my compact gun and spare mag in the appendix position. You still need a good OWB holster for range use or during a training course, but for conceal carry IWB is just better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Dedicated appendix carry holster from Daniels Holsters or Quantum Carry Holsters is a good option. If you get the right holster you can do almost anything with your gun on without much discomfort. On the hip carry will not conceal better. It also wont be more comfortable while driving. I've driven hours and hours at a time with my compact gun and spare mag in the appendix position. You still need a good OWB holster for range use or during a training course, but for conceal carry IWB is just better.
    Why would you NOT train or do range drills with you actual carry gear?

Yes there are some trainers who don't want to / are cautious to train you with the actual equipment you carry. And there are sporting codes that prohibit AIWB carry. But it is possible to find knowledgeable (real world) trainers that CAN train you to master your actual EDC setup.

And for those who sign the indemnity and can convince the organisers they are safe there are even shooting competitions that allow you to compete with your ACTUAL EDC setup... There are quite a number of shooters that have been doing this for some time now (in Gauteng) and no one so far has lost his nuts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Why would you NOT train or do range drills with you actual carry gear?

Yes there are some trainers who don't want to / are cautious to train you with the actual equipment you carry. And there are sporting codes that prohibit AIWB carry. But it is possible to find knowledgeable (real world) trainers that CAN train you to master your actual EDC setup.

And for those who sign the indemnity and can convince the organisers they are safe there are even shooting competitions that allow you to compete with your ACTUAL EDC setup... There are quite a number of shooters that have been doing this for some time now (in Gauteng) and no one so far has lost his nuts.
    If you attend a pistol fundamentals course with most trainers they will ask you to bring a OWB holster. Concealment and drawing from concealment is more of a level 2 course.
    Some ranges also don't allow you to draw from concealed holsters. In IPSC you can shoot in open division with your AIWB gear. My point is its good to have both holsters to give you options.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    I agree that practicing with your concealed carry gear. I do it often to gain and maintain a good level of proficiency.

User

Okay so I have followed some of the advice here and switched to a Daniels Holster. Turns out that AIWB is quite comfortable provided the right belt and pants are used. I will of course continue to evaluate.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    Okay so I have followed some of the advice here and switched to a Daniels Holster. Turns out that AIWB is quite comfortable provided the right belt and pants are used. I will of course continue to evaluate.
    It gets better the more you get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I originally eyed the Daniels Holster but eventually settled on the Shinobi Katana for my P07. I am quite a small guy but am super happy with the concealment and relative comfort. I mount that to a CR Speedbelt but have ordered the Kore EDC belt since the CR is not super friendly in all everyday circumstances.

If you want to experiment in the future I would highly recommend the Katana holster. There are many options for weapons/optics combinations as well as left/right handed options, plus Eric is a super nice guy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast