Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Scope 7mm Rem Mag

I will then definitely go with the Lynx.

Thanks for all of the inputs.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Banned

Lynx is a rear wheel drive 8 valve Toyota - it just works, I have never had issues when I needed help and they certainly take care of you after taking your money. Chris@Lynx 0117926644
    I have found the Lynx scopes to be rather hardy creations.

User

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I've recently purchased a AR-10 in 6.5cm (still need to drop the application off at my local dfo), but would you be able to take this scope (lynx lx3 2.5-15x50) in a 20 inch (semi), close to 1km?

This would be my limit of what the scope would need to do. Would mainly be used for 50m to 600m and once or twice a year up to a silly range as mentioned above.

I don't see the need for a R25k scope as that is not the purpose of why I purchased my baby. Had I gone for a 26 inch barrel in bolt action, we might have had a different conversation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, I've recently purchased a AR-10 in 6.5cm (still need to drop the application off at my local dfo), but would you be able to take this scope (lynx lx3 2.5-15x50) in a 20 inch (semi), close to 1km?

This would be my limit of what the scope would need to do. Would mainly be used for 50m to 600m and once or twice a year up to a silly range as mentioned above.

I don't see the need for a R25k scope as that is not the purpose of why I purchased my baby. Had I gone for a 26 inch barrel in bolt action, we might have had a different conversation.
    That scope is a pretty good choice for your application. 1km won't be an issue either. Just set up your base/ring combo so you can use the full elevation range of the scope.

.... would you be able to take this scope (lynx lx3 2.5-15x50) in a 20 inch (semi), close to 1km?.
    You will be able to answer your own question better by running a ballistic calculator on your load.

See what the drop is for your load at that range. Then check what is the total elevation of the scope, and halve it.

Compare the drop requirement to half of total elevation capability,

If the difference is small, add a 10 MOA rail.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    You will be able to answer your own question better by running a ballistic calculator on your load.

See what the drop is for your load at that range. Then check what is the total elevation of the scope, and halve it.

Compare the drop requirement to half of total elevation capability,

If the difference is small, add a 10 MOA rail.
    I've done some research using the Hornady's ballistics app as well as looking at some online opinions and it seems that with a 20 inch barrel, here in the highveld, one would need somewhere between 9.8 to 10.8 mils of adjustments, depending on the elevation and bullet used.

It seems like I would have to either slightly holdover or use a 10 MOA rail to get that 1 or 2 mills of dailed in at 1km.

Thanks for the feedback up there guys, much appreciated.

It seems like I would have to either slightly holdover or use a 10 MOA rail to get that 1 or 2 mills of dailed in at 1km.
    Holdover is not reliable.

The long range gongs are never on the 1000 meter mark, they are between 1000 and 1100 , so for 1km, maximum possible range needs to be 1100.

Seeing as you are already with an AR-10, you have the rail integral, and it's not simple to put a MOA rail on an existing rail. You can get rings with the 10 MOA built in instead, from Sus-Tac. If they can give you 15 MOA rings, consider using that with the LX3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2