User

Default Renewal of Competency Certificates

Good Morning, This might be a dumb question but could you please just clarify.
    I see my competency certificate which I received 18 November 2020 has no expiry date. It states that this competency is valid for the same period as the validity of the firearm licence it relates to. Thus this competency will always be valid if my firearm licences are renewed when they are due? Thus I never have to renew my competency?
    Please advise

User

Default Re: Renewal of Competency Certificates

Renew your comp when you renew your licence, unless your comp can tie to another firearm of the same platform that then causes the comp to be extended ,e.g. you have two handguns, both S15, one licenced in 2015 and one in 2019; when you renew the licence for 2015 gun in 2025, your comp is still valid and tied to the 2019 licence, meaning it runs to 2025 BUT you've extended the other licence to 2029 - so the comp now ties to that licence and so it loops on and on and on

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Renew your comp when you renew your licence, unless your comp can tie to another firearm of the same platform that then causes the comp to be extended ,e.g. you have two handguns, both S15, one licenced in 2015 and one in 2019; when you renew the licence for 2015 gun in 2025, your comp is still valid and tied to the 2019 licence, meaning it runs to 2025 BUT you've extended the other licence to 2029 - so the comp now ties to that licence and so it loops on and on and on
    Thank you for the clarity. 💪🏻💪🏻

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    so the comp now ties to that licence and so it loops on and on and on
    Max loop is 10 years now on CFR directive
    Was confirmed by DFO, my Lawyers and NHSA

I was forced to renew even though I had another license issued on the competency 8 months before

All NHSA endorsements now also state :
    Make sure that your competencies are still valid when submitting licence applications. Always renew competencies 10 years after the date of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Max loop is 10 years now on CFR directive
    Was confirmed by DFO, my Lawyers and NHSA

I was forced to renew even though I had another license issued on the competency 8 months before

All NHSA endorsements now also state :
    CFR directives are not law, as much as they would like them to be.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

As SSP mentioned, what the law states and what the CFR do are not ever the same.

When I renewed my S13 last year, although I still had over 6 years left from my S16 pistol, the DFO said he highly recommends that I also renew the competency for the S13 renewal as the CFR had been returning renewals if the competency was not also renewed.
    I know, I know, that's not how it is supposed to work, but for the sake of waiting a year for a renewal only to have it returned because CFR decide they also want your competency renewed is not a risk I was looking to take...

Legally your competency is valid for the longest remaining license, but you can decide the route you want to follow...

For what its worth, I have in the last 2 years renewed 3 SLRs with a HMC competency that on the face of the card "expired" in 2013.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    CFR directives are not law, as much as they would like them to be.
    Agreed, but what do you do when your DFO refuses to taker your firearm renewal without Competency renewal, you then go to Lawyers dealing with applications and they say the DFO is correct and your DSS association also says the DFO is correct ??