Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Running shots, how do you do it. Running shots, should you.

When asked about head shots I have always replied that head shots are for professionals, wankers and show offs and I am certain you are none of the fore mentioned. Just became a standard reply of mine to guys who start hunting and mouth off about only shooting head shots.
    Over the years reasons and requirements have made head shots a requirement that needed fore filling on many occasions. I shoot head shots a lot these days but never by choice for my own hunting. (Excluding Hogs which are often head shot because of ease of doing so)

I have had the same feelings in regard to the guys that see a Kudu running along a hill side at 3/400 m and start throwing lead. "Jy moet lood in die lug he' " - " you never know unless you try"
    I hate it, absolutely despise that thing of shooting shot after shot at a living thing and hoping to hit it, somewhere, anywhere, perhaps even kill it.

Of recent a lot of my "shooting" has required that I shoot at walking animals, which may result in shooting at a running animal, but not the other way around.
    The one farm where the farmer wanted his Impala reduced to a third within a week or two comes to mind, and the farms where the bush pig are shot as a number reducing exercise and not as fair chase hunting.

Now to my question, "how do you shoot on a moving target" what is your mental process, your check list as it unwinds.
    I ask this, because I put a backup gun on a youngster recently (all these farms are so closed, no invites, got to use who is there on the farm) and he asked me how I shoot running shots. I then realized that I do not really know, I do it, I can do it better than 70% of those I know, but it’s kinda like catching a ball- I can but do not really know how I went about it.

For interests sake, a person of incredible running shot ability, Pre 64, seen him shoot running Springbuck in the air a good few times when cleaning up after the paying hunters.

I would like to read through the suggestions, methods and hopefully some golden rules and see if I can improve my theoretical game before I squeeze the send lever.

Banned

Default Re: Running shots, how do you do it. Running shots, should you.

User

Well, based on a single datapoint of experience, I lead to much and miss ahead :-/ luckilly my PH-friend is better versed in the art!

User

Interesting topic. Like you've pretty much stated with headshots. There are just too many variables and the smallest margin of error leads to a bad shot and the animal suffers.

I've shot a bushpig at 60 yards with a sprotified. 303 with a shitty scope. Had a nice lungue shot but it could have been a margin off and a gut shot.

Running shots are always better (1) with less range, and (2) with open sights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Running shots are always better (1) with less range, and (2) with open sights.
    open sights would perhaps be a benefit. Pre 64 taught me both eyes open -- same kinda thing ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    only in the US of A

User

Experience with a bit of practice where one can. All animals run at different speeds, gaits etc. Easiest are pigs. They run flat.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Treeman. My method is precisely the wrong way to do it, but it works for me. I don't track and follow through. As the target (Warthogs and Bushpig numbers to control, I have never shot on a running antelope, except wounded ones), are running I track it in my scope, that would be of low magnification. 1-3 X about. Then I go past it with the cross hairs, stop tracking it and at a certain point before it reaches the cross hairs I pull the trigger. As a youngster I shot a lot of rats running on store room roof trusses and beams with an open sighted Diana Mod 34 air rifle. Nobody taught me anything (my dad is not interested in shooting), and I learned to shoot them like that. Wait till they are almost at the right spot and pull the trigger. It stuck and thats the way I still do it.

What I have noted on running shots over the years is that it gets easy to misjudge the distance by the time you get to the shot. I shoot a lot of them pigs with my .44 Mag Lever gun. 20 meters gets an issue with regards to trajectory. From the time the pig spinned of till the time he gets shot he easily gains more distance than what a person perceive. I bet in the flats with Springbuck for instance the same goes. They can easily gain a fair distance that is not noticed and shots fall low? (For the "on the flats" part, I am asking, not stating. 0 experience on those.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Treeman. Then I go past it with the cross hairs, stop tracking it and at a certain point before it reaches the cross hairs I pull the trigger.
    Referred to as "ambush shooting/aiming" , as you say considered the least desirable method as it results in hits, but where along the travel line is pure luck. I did this for years as well, and still find myself lapsing back to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast