Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Banned

Default Re: south African Hunting Bullet Manufactures

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    This is not a new idea, several years ago I tested some American made Cutting Edge bullets that was designed to do exactly what you describe above. While the front part of the bullet did break up, I saw no difference between them and expanding monolithic bullets as far as terminal performance was concerned.

Interestingly, `GS Custom bullets often behaved in the same way, with the expanded petals breaking off. Whether they were designed to do this, I don't know.
    They where designed to break off. Secondary damage was marketing I think, the primary intent to remove the parachute, hand break effect of the petals to encourage a exit wound. The break of point was intended at after certain distance of penetration.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    This is not a new idea, several years ago I tested some American made Cutting Edge bullets that was designed to do exactly what you describe above. While the front part of the bullet did break up, I saw no difference between them and expanding monolithic bullets as far as terminal performance was concerned.

Interestingly, `GS Custom bullets often behaved in the same way, with the expanded petals breaking off. Whether they were designed to do this, I don't know.
    Many people have tried this over the years.
    Norma made the Kalahari bullet series that did exactly that, discontinued if I am correct.
    Titan bullets made in SA, does exactly that.

In my opinion, making a bullet that loses its petals is a LOT easier than designing one that expands controllably through the impact velocity range.

It is also my opinion that some people just claim it to be a design feature where it's really just an unplanned and unpredictable outcome.

User

WRT to the thread, my opinion on the matter have not changed.
    Shooting is expensive, but we don’t shoot with hunting bullets, we hunt with hunting bullets.
    If the ordinary person loads 100 premium hunting bullets that ammo will last him a looooong time.
    So even if I have to pay 300 bucks more for Barnes, then I do it, really that money is not even the liquor money most spend on a single trip, so people must not come and complain about the initial cost of bullets, hell you can hunt only with A-frames and that choice will still be justified.
    Also if you only shoot 50 animals with that ammo, work out the cost of those 50 animals, and then your bullets cost will seem miniscule or even irrelevant.

For sure I will support local, but not because it’s lekker, or proudly SA, I’ll do it because I have that choice (option), nothing more. Just about the only bullets that do exactly what the manufacturer claims is Barnes, I have recovered many picture perfect examples.

Many people are so worried about running out of bullets, that just does not make sense, load a good few once and you are sorted for years. It’s like people only throwing R100 or R200 worth of petrol every time, they must visit the service stations a lot, compared to those that will fill up and go to the service station 5 times less.

Banned

I have to agree with Messor on the loading just once thing, I load a minimum of 1 box of 100 now a days, less load development that will leave 80 to 99 bullets. (one shot to confirm old load is still "THE" load)

When I load for the the .223, 250 reloads is usually the minimum and all I have the max, same with handgun - everything I have each time.

I usually aim to use every case or bullet I have at one sitting. This factor + the Covid find things to do leaves me with the fact that I have not reloaded since March - April last year.
    I have also not reloaded for the .270 in years perhaps as much as 10 years likely more.
    Upside is that I now buy new weapons just to have something reloading - shooting to do.

User

In my humble opinion the following apply to hunting bullets.

A varmint bullet should disintegrate on impact.

A hunting bullet should expand in a controlled fashion, stop expanding at a certain level of expansion (1.5X - 2X its original diameter) and retain most of its weight. (This would be a fine general hunting bullet)

OR

Should not expand at all, maintaining its original shape and retain all of its weight. (This would be bullets for hunting pachyderms, back up shots on buffalo and hunting very small antelope)

Designing a bullet to be half varmint bullet, half non-expanding big game solid does not really make sense to me.

User

A cynical friend of mind suggested that they tried to make a "Barnes" style bullet from brass instead of copper, and when the petals flew off on impact, they called it a "design" feature. I have to agree with T-stone, the petal shedding thing is too unreliable, in that if they shed on impact than the remains of the bullet diameter will be too small. Rather have a controlled expansion. I think the modern bullets, certainly the Barnes are reliable to expand to double their diameter, so you can enjoy the ballistics of a 7mm and have the killing potential of a 14mm bullet.

User

Treeman, I need to point out...it really is a sad day to hear you never have used Stewart Core-bonded bullets... It means then you really have never used as great quality bullet at affordable prices...I only use Stewart Bullets, Owner is Hansie Minnaar, excellent service , excellent product..these bullets are devastating on game ..I still need to be able to retrieve a Stewart core bonded bullet... Hansie suggested I shoot an Eland bull from the front..maybe then it will be possible to retrieve a bullet to see how it performs in weight retension...I do not look any further than bullets I buy from Hansie Minnaar `s Stewart core bonded bullets ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Treeman, I need to point out...it really is a sad day to hear you never have used Stewart Core-bonded bullets...
    I do believe I have never even seen them. and till recently I thought they were Australian bullets. I also am under the impression they are only big bore bullets.
    I will Google them now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Treeman, I need to point out...it really is a sad day to hear you never have used Stewart Core-bonded bullets... It means then you really have never used as great quality bullet at affordable prices...I only use Stewart Bullets, Owner is Hansie Minnaar, excellent service , excellent product..these bullets are devastating on game ..I still need to be able to retrieve a Stewart core bonded bullet... Hansie suggested I shoot an Eland bull from the front..maybe then it will be possible to retrieve a bullet to see how it performs in weight retension...I do not look any further than bullets I buy from Hansie Minnaar `s Stewart core bonded bullets ...
    Also never heard of them, googled them, not a big variety, more so for the big bores...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5