Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: So what happened here?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    He even bent a rifle barrel almost 180° back (aiming at the optic) and the rifle kept firing just fine. The wrong way, sure, but fine.
    Yeah I remember that episode, was really surprised nothing happened. He said he would repeat the experiment but I don't think he did.

User

He does REALLY cool stuff. You seen that one where he bends bullets in all kinds of funny trajectories using PVC pipe?

Everyone assumes a double charge. I used to think that as well, till it happened to the pistol my son was shooting that I reloaded for.

It's more likely a .40 or .45, using reloads, with a reduced charge of fast burning ball powder, to reduce the recoil.

High volume shooters like to use the fast ball powders because it's a cheaper powder, they can load more rounds from one tin, and end up using substantially less than the load data because the minimum load is too far above power factor.

The reality is that low case fill explodes barrel chambers. Not just in rifles.

Nicky Barnard attempted some destruction testing on too much powder in the Glock, and did not succeed in making the Glock fail. If he's on the forum here, maybe he could share the general details with us.

User

He does REALLY cool stuff. You seen that one where he bends bullets in all kinds of funny trajectories using PVC pipe?
    That was insane! I expected the projectile to tear out the first bend, but nope.

Yeah I found Matt a while a go and have since gone through most of his vids. Watch all the new stuff. His style has changed a bit and he really is easy in front of the camera now. You must watch the intro (his intros are great) with the one where Matt and Scott from Kentucky Ballistics finally face off after a lot of online feuding, classic stuff.

Anyway, yeah I have seen the PVC pipe one, that was crazy, like most you expected the bullet to exit at the first bend but it just kept on going and he just added more bends. He also done a second pipe one but the first was better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post

Nicky Barnard attempted some destruction testing on too much powder in the Glock, and did not succeed in making the Glock fail. If he's on the forum here, maybe he could share the general details with us.
    Multiple double charges of S121 if I recall correctly. Compressed load. That gun still works

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Multiple double charges of S121 if I recall correctly. Compressed load. That gun still works
    As I have said before - blocked barrel. I was almost certain.
    But now 414 has added another possibility which I can not dispute - too little charge, that could also do it if I understand the phenomenon correctly. I can not debate this as I have little to no understanding of the occurrences mechanics.
    I only understand that instead of igniting in a steady ongoing manner, the propellant ignites and pass's a certain exponential point because of the space available it "flashes" instead of shall we say "pulse's". The cartridge becomes a chamber in its own right and then the curve is just too steep/fast for the bullet to get out of the way in time. I discussed this recently and said its like the cartridge looses its temper instead of gets angry and just vents its anger. The description was much liked??

Can someone explain the too small a charge again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    As I have said before - blocked barrel. I was almost certain.
    But now 414 has added another possibility which I can not dispute - too little charge, that could also do it if I understand the phenomenon correctly. I can not debate this as I have little to no understanding of the occurrences mechanics.
    I only understand that instead of igniting in a steady ongoing manner, the propellant ignites and pass's a certain exponential point because of the space available it "flashes" instead of shall we say "pulse's". The cartridge becomes a chamber in its own right and then the curve is just too steep/fast for the bullet to get out of the way in time. I discussed this recently and said its like the cartridge looses its temper instead of gets angry and just vents its anger. The description was much liked??

Can someone explain the too small a charge again.
    Treeman, the way I was explained is that if the case is so under filed that the flash-hole is not covered with propellant and instead of burning through the powder from behind,the entire suface area of propellant ignite at once.
    Even at normal loads when you shoot at close cardboard targets with a handgun, there is unburnt powder residue on the target. The powder does not all burn while in the brass container, but continue so while travelling in the barrel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5