Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Default Re: Running shots, how do you do it. Running shots, should you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Would a dedicated varmint shooter not also gain a bit of experience shooting moving targets?

I understood that the generally accepted aiming point on a jackal is “daar waar die meeste jakkals is”.
    The only jackal I have shot were on the move, and Cody's first was also no the move. Moving targets are so difficult to present effectively.

User

If you have a shooting range/area where you can rig up a runner setup. Tension a wire between 2 points at a downward angle and hang a target frame with 2 small wheels from it, running down due to gravity. The pity is that with such a system the cart speeds up as it moves along.

User

Not necessary to beat around the bush with this one, the truth is harsh so just get over it.
    It took all experienced hunters years and years of developing their skills, they did not just wake up one day and was bestowed hunting prowesses by some deity.
    Same goes for wing shooters, you guys that are wing shooters did you just hit everything you aimed at from day one, or even now?
    Same goes for running shots, people that are good at it did not gain that skill with magic, they probably took a lot of running shots, probably missed a lot as well.

For running shots especially those that are skilled shoots instinctively, same way a wing shooter shoots instinctively, no difference.
    That skill is gained by a lot of PAIN AND DEATH, nothing more, so let’s not kid ourselves let’s just be brutally honest.
    Many people that have been part of voorsit shoots in the Karoo for example will have witnessed this, some oke wounds a springbok and somebody else have to try and put it down, it’s not nice to see but its reality. Professional cullers have to shoot even if the wind is bad that day, it’s a job, there are a lot of doppies (empty cartridges) that night, more than there should be, but it’s reality.

So again, any person needs to gain experience, this type of experience is gained by starting out unethically, nothing more, it’s the way life works, it’s the way nature works.
    Why people cannot see this simple concept is beyond me. If two people are shooting pigeons today, one is an old ballie that’s been doing it for 40 years, the other is a newbie, the old ballie barely misses while the newbie barely hits, there is no difference between the two people, the old guy started out exactly the same way. Same goes for shots on running animals.

Calling a spade a spade is just too much for some.

User

To be fair, the above is only really true when all you shoot at are living things. Specifically where shotgunning is concerned, at least there's this thing called the clay pigeon, that is neither getting exting (as some politician were rumoured to have been concerned about a few years ago) not feel pain when only slightly wounded...

I know essentially boggerol about shotgunning but I'm quite sure the skills learned on clays are transferable to actual birds.

On plains game using rifles, of course the above makes sense. However, I do believe some shotgun skills will be transferable here too.

In a different shooting sport years ago, where one shot at one flying thing from another flying thing using machine guns, my father related that shooting clays regularly were a mandatory activity to get used to the concept of leading a moving target.

User

When I got to France I wasn't used to shooting things on the run. Shot a few shots at running rabbits with a .22 and actually killed one in SA. Some experience but not a lot.

When I shot my first boar it was a head shot at 40m - head shot because it was so close and the boar was running in a straight line. What I found that works for me is something of a sustained lead - let the cross glue onto the target area - for the boars I aim mostly for the head/neck area - if the boar is running faster than you think the shot will be a bit further back but still through the heart and lungs - the cross stays on where you aim and gently pull the trigger.

The people at my hunting club call me the Sniper - I'm not an exceptional shot - but I do kill most of my boars with one shot and I have very little meat damage because I shoot for the head/neck/heart and lung area - some of the french guys - they aim for center mass and there have been some boars with huge holes through their stomach and legs etc. They mostly use bigger calibers like 9.3x62, 300 win mag and 9.3x74. They use these bigger calibers because they know that their shot placement will not be the best.

I'm not an exceptional shot - but I can shoot. I think that is the difference between me and some of the french guys. I've shot thousands and thousands of shots with a airgun, .22 etc. Here hunting birds with a airgun is not allowed. So your average french hunter shoot perhaps 10 or 20 shots per year - if they are having a awesome year! Gun ranges are scarce and there are very few places where you can shoot running boar targets. Going to the shooting cinema like above is very expensive.

I also bought a cheapie air rifle - to practice snap shooting at a stationary target behind our house. Any trigger time is better than none.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    For running shots especially those that are skilled shoots instinctively, same way a wing shooter shoots instinctively, no difference.
    That skill is gained by a lot of PAIN AND DEATH, nothing more, so let’s not kid ourselves let’s just be brutally honest.
    Not necessarily. Here in Finland we are able to train shooting a running elk, it used to be mandatory but now it is an option and some hunting clubs won't let you go shoot the elk without this training, on dedicated running elk ranges.

The range is 75 m and the target moves pretty fast... I can tell the first shot I took at an elk running at full speed was instinctive and my .458 bullet hit the center of the imaginary rings on that target.

And you should practice shotgun wing shooting with clay pigeons, not living things. So, in the end what gets really hurt is clay, cardboard and in the beginning your feelings, not living things. Practice won't make you a perfect shot, but it's better to start killing animals as a good shot instead of going out trying to learn to shoot by hurting living things.

Just my Rand and a half...

User

We in SA are limited, only BASA as far as I know have moving targets and then it’s a target that comes straight at you.
    What we do have is a lot of corn fields, and pest animals that comes with it, probably the safest and best way to practice.

As for animals like antelope, what Treeman specifically asked about, the only way we have to practice running shots is to take them. Lead then varies with distance and cartridge, so if you ask me the people good at running shots are those used to taking them, no shortcuts.

I lead through the animal, and I find a 4 plex on low power easier because open sights at our distances are just too difficult. I also find the horizontal line to be a guide in making sure your horizontal lead is correct, then you just have the manage your trajectory lead.

User

@AK

I would love to have access to that range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    As for animals like antelope, what Treeman specifically asked about, the only way we have to practice running shots is to take them. Lead then varies with distance and cartridge, so if you ask me the people good at running shots are those used to taking them, no shortcuts.
    This is why the running speed can be adjusted , you can use different targets for varying game animals and you can shoot from longer and shorter ranges when practicing It's not a shortcut, it's a training aid.

I'm in a process of trying to find blueprints for our ranges, if and when I'll find them, I'll share it with you guys and you can build your own ranges. Every range in Finland has been built and operated by private hunting clubs which means everybody puts some money and lots of elbow grease to the project after which you've got the range to use and let others use with usually a more or less nominal fee.

User

I grew up hunting,as in hunting practically all year round,every weekend.
    Alexandria......quail...wing shooting
    Humansdorp.....ducks/geese....wing shooting
    .....walking up Duiker in fynbos....running shots
    All over Eastern Cape....Hunting with Hounds for Bushpig and Bushbuck....running shots.
    Fish river....driven hunts for Kudu....running shots

These made up the bulk of our hunts beside the trips to SWA, Zululand ect.
    In between was airgun shooting on our small farm,shooting competitive ISU and clays.

Yes,shooting running shots requires practice and lots of it. Please feel free to debate the morals and ethics involved therein as you may consider that we were shooting these animals without being able to precision place your bullet. This all took place in the 70"s and 80"s and things have changed. I seldom shoot running shots nowadays except to clean up someone elses mess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3