User

Default Caliber change on firearm

Hi all

Just want to find out if anyone has had a caliber change / SAPS 521 (g) notification of incorrect details processed recently?
    If so how long does it take with the current COVID excuses etc?
    I have bought a firearm back in May 2020 and have to date not yet received a SAPS 271 for the firearm due to the caliber description being incorrect. Just want to check if I am being jerked around by the shop as I have paid for the rifle in full, yet 10 months later still have not received the paperwork.
    If it was not such a rare find I would have told them to take a hike and asked for my money back....

User

Default Re: Caliber change on firearm

I had to do caliber change when I renewed my license for my 1898 mk3 Webley revolver. Original caliber on system was "45 Revolver". This was changed to 455/476.
    Original application handed in 27th July 2020. On the system, the caliber has now been changed, but the current status of the renewal is "No status available contact the DFO"

My suggestion would be to try and follow up from your DFO.

The Covid excuse is over. Its now mainly due to renewals and all the amnesty apps thats being handled.

And Im not blaming CFR so much for this. But all the firearm owners who for years sat on their hands and did not go and renew as they should have. And had what ever excuse. And the real dedicated shooters who did what tehy were suppose to by checking their cards and renewing as stipulated. Now have to wait months due to this bottleneck the amnesty created.

User

I still blame the CFR. Renewals form part of the CFR process. It's cumbersome and not effective at all in curbing crime.

User

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Hi all

Just want to find out if anyone has had a caliber change / SAPS 521 (g) notification of incorrect details processed recently?
    If so how long does it take with the current COVID excuses etc?
    I have bought a firearm back in May 2020 and have to date not yet received a SAPS 271 for the firearm due to the caliber description being incorrect. Just want to check if I am being jerked around by the shop as I have paid for the rifle in full, yet 10 months later still have not received the paperwork.
    If it was not such a rare find I would have told them to take a hike and asked for my money back....
    My situation didn't involve SAPS521 but I also thought the dealer was jerking me around so I asked a similar question on this forum. I was strongly pounced upon by a moderator & a dealer/moderator for even daring to suggest that the dealer could be at fault. Now I definitely don't want to suggest for a moment that all dealers are slack in this regard because my overall experience is that the vast majority of them are very good, but it eventually turned out that a particular individual working for that dealer had in fact either not bothered to submit paperwork and/or had not bothered to follow up with the relevant DFO after submitting said paperwork even though he claimed to be doing so once a week. I still buy from that shop because the situation was resolved and because I already had a long happy history with them so I wasn't going to let one incident spoil that but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

I'm not sure how much SAPS521 info is available on the system but if you have a cooperative DFO, he should be able to see what information is on the system and might be willing to tell you. That will give you the other side of the story which will either support the dealer's story or call his bluff. I suggest trying what I did: get all the details in hand and ask the DFO questions that he can answer yes/no. In that way you protect him in that he can't be accused of releasing information that you didn't already have. Explain the situation to him then ask a question something like: "Would you be able confirm that firearm ABC with serial number XXX currently registered against dealer PQR at address IJK with FAR number YYY and responsible person DEF has had an SAPS521(g) submitted to change the calibre from 123 to 456?"

On a completely separate incident, a few years back I submitted a SAPS521 to correct the calibre information on a rifle. They processed everything in about 3 months but my card didn't arrive. After over a year of repeated phone calls & emails where nobody could tell me anything I eventually sat with my DFO one day and she phoned around until she found someone that could press a button to have the licence card printed. I had it in my hand about 2 weeks later. There was some strange story I couldn't understand that a 521 didn't automatically advance through the system like a 271 after each step in the process and had to be manually/individually managed. Yours could also be stuck in the system somewhere waiting for the correct person to push the correct button and the DFO should be able to tell you how long it has been sitting on its current step in the process (if it is in the process)

At the moment I've got my business competency in the system that was approved by CFR in November 2020 (if I recall correctly) but they can't print the card (or even a paper version) and also can't explain why they can't print it.........

Good luck & vasbyt. It all eventually comes right!