Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Howa 308, 20" Bullbarrel

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Standard twist ? - 180 is heavy for caliber in .308 Win
    Recoil will be noticeably multiplied and the shorter barrel will not help, unless you load down for a specific application.
    In theory, if I recall correctly 170 gr is about the plum middle for .308 cal in 1-10 twist.
    No, 165gr is the plum middle and even then most shooters worldwide shoots 150gr in 308, and in that weight good bullets gets the job done every time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Have you tried heavier bullets like 180, as they are supposed to fair better in 1 in 10.
    No. We shoot in the Karoo so the distances are a bit longer. If I use 180 I will have to chase some speed to get a flattish trajectory.

I do not try and chase speed, just did some basic load development, found one that groups pretty well and has a decent trajectory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Last I checked the 180gn Aframe was the shortest bullet around after that the partion
    My barrel is 1/12 twist and I didn't notice any issues.
    I recall checking for bullet stability on the Berger website and the bullets were fine

I also did not chase speed,nice mild load. I don't think recoil is an issue the heavy barrel helps with that.

I also have sako super hammerhead factory ammo that performs nicely, can't remember the velocity.

User

In my Howa 308 20" bull barrel I have used Sierra Game King 165gr HPBT #2140 since I got it. It was the first bullet I tried and shot well enough for me so although I tried a few other bullets I didn't put too much effort into load development. (note there is also a SP 165gr SGK). I think the load I settled on is 40.4gr S335 or the same amount of S321 but would have to go outside to the garage to check that so don't use it without doing your own development. PMP cases on about their 10th firing by now, neck sized most of the time. Gives me about 2500fps.

Have shot animals varying in size from springbok to kudu with the same bullets at ranges varying from 40 metres (that was a jackal) to 350 metres (springbok & blesbok, and no I wouldn't shoot animals at that range by choice) as well as a whole lot of paper targets & gongs at the same sort of distances.

I have at times shot other bullets & loads and all of them shoot just fine, even military. I don't think these rifles are terribly fussy and I like to say that if I walked down the line at the shooting range and took a single cartridge from everyone with a .308, the Howa would still shoot a better group with the resulting mixed bag than my 243 Voere ever did, even after extensive load development using Lapua cases matched by weight.

I haven't been able to get Sierra 165 HPBTs lately so am about to try Hornady 165gr SP interlock, which are also a bit cheaper.

I think that 165gr is the best all round compromise bullet weight for .308 1:10 mixed hunting & target shooting. If I did all my hunting in thick bush and/or large animals I would go to 180's. If I only ever hunted springbok/blesbok I would go with 150's or maybe even lighter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    In my Howa 308 20" bull barrel I have used Sierra Game King 165gr HPBT #2140 since I got it. It was the first bullet I tried and shot well enough for me so although I tried a few other bullets I didn't put too much effort into load development. (note there is also a SP 165gr SGK). I think the load I settled on is 40.4gr S335 or the same amount of S321 but would have to go outside to the garage to check that so don't use it without doing your own development. PMP cases on about their 10th firing by now, neck sized most of the time. Gives me about 2500fps.

Have shot animals varying in size from springbok to kudu with the same bullets at ranges varying from 40 metres (that was a jackal) to 350 metres (springbok & blesbok, and no I wouldn't shoot animals at that range by choice) as well as a whole lot of paper targets & gongs at the same sort of distances.

I have at times shot other bullets & loads and all of them shoot just fine, even military. I don't think these rifles are terribly fussy and I like to say that if I walked down the line at the shooting range and took a single cartridge from everyone with a .308, the Howa would still shoot a better group with the resulting mixed bag than my 243 Voere ever did, even after extensive load development using Lapua cases matched by weight.

I haven't been able to get Sierra 165 HPBTs lately so am about to try Hornady 165gr SP interlock, which are also a bit cheaper.

I think that 165gr is the best all round compromise bullet weight for .308 1:10 mixed hunting & target shooting. If I did all my hunting in thick bush and/or large animals I would go to 180's. If I only ever hunted springbok/blesbok I would go with 150's or maybe even lighter.
    Thank you.. Your 165gr's at 2500 fps, actually have enough energy to put down a Springbuck at 350m?

User

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Thank you.. Your 165gr's at 2500 fps, actually have enough energy to put down a Springbuck at 350m?
    Actually, not at all... it just gives the bokkie a mild bruise as it drops almost vertically the last bit. Said bokkie then promptly dies laughing.

User

Energy with springbok is irrelevant, all .22 centerfires bring them down.

If you'll be shooting at those distances focus on trajectory and wind drift, select a lighter bullet, start with something like a 150gr Hornady SST or Nosler BT.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Energy with springbok is irrelevant, all .22 centerfires bring them down.

If you'll be shooting at those distances focus on trajectory and wind drift, select a lighter bullet, start with something like a 150gr Hornady SST or Nosler BT.
    Good advice from Messor. I don't encourage shooting animals at those distances and I avoid doing it wherever possible. The point I'm trying to make is that for me, the 165gr SGK HPBT has been able to do everything I've ever wanted it to under a wide range of conditions, using the same rifle as the OP.

What I should also have said is that when velocity drops off, the SGK HPBT doesn't seem to expand very reliably so at extended ranges it might be a bit questionable. Also part of my reasons for deciding to try the Hornady which is a SP bullet but I'm sticking with 165gr as an all-round weight. In the words of the farm owner where I shot the animals at those long ranges after seeing the bullet wounds: "hierdie koeel is 'n bietjie hard vir springbokke". It might be better on larger, heavier animals than springbok at those ranges but I've never done that so I can't speak from experience.

User

@BBCT

I’ve shot a LOT of those 165gr HPBT bullets, and they are probably some of the most accurate bullets I’ve ever used. They were designed after all to be a hunting version of a target bullet.
    It’s a pity about Sierra’s pricing in SA and stock availability, even in the States they struggle to meet local demand.
    But I still have a sealed box hidden away somewhere.... :)

With a 24” barrel you can push them surprisingly fast, with S321 almost 2750ft/s, but unfortunately the OP does not have the option with his little 20”, hence why I told him to go lighter.

Banned

With these 20 inch Howa's they have re-invented the "kleilat". Feels great to be shooting with a "Lee-Enfield trajectory.

I shot quite a few springbuck with my 303 near Three Sisters in the Karoo. Does make for "some" compensating with a 4x32 scope. The 243 was acquired to alleviate the Kentucky windage, but the RAM 3-9 was a challenge on it's own. Auto adjusted to 500m zero after travelling a distance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast