User

Default Overbore calibers

How do jou how much overbore a caliber is? Last night Will lying awake again thinking about the 243 vs 25-06 i was staring to think about which one Will be heaver on a barrel. Important considering our licencing process. Wow much of a difference is their in recoil between the 2 is another consideration as i want to teach my children to hunt with it.

Default Re: Overbore calibers

A web search should turn up more but here is an interesting article on overbore and one author's opinion on it...

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...ng-definition/

I would think that much would depend on what you wanted to hunt most often with the rifle, but if the decision was mine I think the .243 would win out given the fact that the .25-06 does best in 24-26in barrels and in standard hunting loads used in relatively lightweight rifles, gives more recoil...plus the fact that .243 ammo is much more easily found most places. A short, light, quick handling 7lb. or so .243 would be hard to beat for a kid's first serious rifle on animals up to white tail deer size. Beyond that, the ability to use heavier bullets at greater velocities would favor the .25-06, but if I was going to go that far, I would prefer a good .270 myself.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Re: Overbore calibers

That is why i am leaning towards the 243. I love the 270 but has to much recoil for kids and varmin. 25-06 seems to me to be better blesbuck/sptingbuck caliber than the 243 but recoil is wat has me wondering as i have not fired 1. I know the 243 very well. Me rifle Will be a varminter so it Will be rather heavy