Banned

Default Friday Night Bush Pig

Took 5 High End Private school boys to go try get a Bush Pig for two of them. Interesting story in its own right seeing myself again at 15/16 years old. Things like sex, hidden beers and swearing came to the fore very quickly, but yea, not my first time with teens in the bush.
    After not much effort the boys wanted to chase, kill spring hares, a thing I hate but was part of package from land owner.
    While spotting for hares to run after, a sounder of hogs crossed a camp at furthermost corner and made a reasonably leisurely walk across camp. Since the rifles were put away(not mine ever, always next to self, barrel down to floor) with much of the usual "there, there, quickly" and too much noise, I pretty much hand braked stepped out crouched and shot the best presented one. The unmistakable thunk came back over lands. The pig jumped, ran to a cluster of bush and seemed to die half in half out of it. The rest all stopped, I lined a second one up and asked status of first when I saw for myself it had started walking again. Shot - missed, shot hit - down. Lined up on another and was and informed it was trying to get up, went back to first which was now facing us, shot between eyes and it was down.

Went back to another pig, lined up, was about to shoot when the thought of "why?" entered my mind - made weapon safe and went to fetch the pig.
    222 m first shot on a walking pig was perfect entry horizontally behind shoulder, but high. The bullet stopped in the far side in shoulder joint, after taking top off both lungs.
    The second hit was higher damaging spine, and third between eyes was actually between ears missing skull and into neck. I did not take angle of land into account, (actually did not notice it).
    The difficulty on the shots became apparent when travelling to collect animal.
    The land was considerably lower in the middle than at each fence line, so if travelling from front fence to back fence you would travel down a bit to middle of land and then up again after middle. I was there for shooting across a declining slope at an animal with one side lower than other side.
    bushPig frazer by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Banned

Default Re: Friday Night Bush Pig

No, I am not sitting far behind it, my knees are pretty much against it with out touching it (blood) - really not into trying to make trophy photo's. It is just a very big pig.
    Was not much uncovered space across bakkie tail gate. The fat on animal was silly thick, almost a thick as Cody's favorite skinning knife when held at a working angle - two to three fingers thick.

User

That is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Nice going Treeman!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Ya but I also screwed up this night:
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...ecause-you-can