Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default The unwanted bedmate

Packing up camp this morning I came to realize that I was sleeping on top of a puffy the whole night.
    He crawled underneath the tent to steal some body heat.
    So for newbie campers, remember to keep your boots inside your tent and put them on before you go out at night, even if there are no thorns at your campsite you may accidentally step on an unwanted bedmate.

User

Default Re: The unwanted bedmate

That looks like a decent sized Puffy. Just as well it only wanted a sleeping partner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Wouldn't want that in my sleeping bag!

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Wouldn't want that in my sleeping bag!
    Funny thing is I’ve slept on that spot hundreds of times, but mostly just on the ground, no tent.
    There was a drizzle on Friday so the tent came up, but if not for that I would say there is a 100% chance I would have woken up with the puffy under my blanket.

Interesting thought….. :)

Banned

Thats a big Puffy for these times, over a meter ?
    We seldom see them of any size down in the E/C any more, the see and kill mentality just does not allow the time required.
    So Messor? The day likely only got better or what? Bet the first sound from you that morning was F**! - In die Taal natuurlik!
    Sorry for laughing mate, I am reliving a few such moments I have had with snakes, had one under the camp kettle once, kettle was on two sticks just off ground. Spent a few days in a Boma where the wood was stored under the sitting bunks around the fire, spent a few nights reaching under butt and just pulling out the piece of wood you felt. The last night the wood was almost finished and a torch was needed to find the last pieces - you work out the rest.

I was working on a site once when my back really itched, so I backed up against a tree and did the old back scratch rub against the tree.
    A few minutes later a worker tells me I have hurt myself , there is stuff coming through my shirt, " it looks ugly Dave". Turns out the itch was one of those big hairy Baboon spiders between shirt and back, I had crushed and smeared it between back and tree, lotsa gloop mess.

User

Ek bekak myself!!!! Slang en spinnekop!!!!

Banned

Looking at your pictures again, hell man thats a trophy Puff Adder

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Looking at your pictures again, hell man thats a trophy Puff Adder
    Treeman that is average size, many grow much bigger, so there must be a discrepancy between what you guys have down there and why your snakes don’t grow to full size.

I am not a herpetologist so I dunno what animals would actively target a puffy in your region.
    I do know there are precious few secretary birds so maybe that have something to do with it on the plains.

User

I would properly bekak myself.... Im glad you and the snake are ok, but tell me please about Puffadders, are they aggressive? Or did he just scroll along after you removed the tent?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I would properly bekak myself.... Im glad you and the snake are ok, but tell me please about Puffadders, are they aggressive? Or did he just scroll along after you removed the tent?
    Interesting reading: https://www.leisurewheels.co.za/blog...he-puff-adder/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast