Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Impala Ram Weight.

The past week a friend of mine shot an old impala ram on the reserve. The ram had short (17") horns with the tips worn down considerably. I doubt if the horn length ever reached 20", which is short for any mature impala ram anywhere. However, the carcass with skin on but head, feet, guts and organs removed weighed 46kg's. The heaviest impala I have ever weighed.

User

Default Re: Impala Ram Weight.

That really is an impressive weight. Interesting that the horn size seems so out of sync with the body size.

Banned

Carcass weights of 40 to 50kg without the skin on, you mostly find far north in the Steenbokpan area. Normal weights of 32 to 40kg is what I have found, especially in Natal.

Finding a heavier carcass in a very cold area is an exception. The good rains would have had an influence.

User

I grew uo on a farm near Vryheid. Back in the early 90s we shot quite a few rams that slaughtered out 45kg, the biggest tipped the scale at 49kg. None of these rams had horns longer than 18inches. We saw a few that might of made 22 on the tape, but that might of been smaller bodies, thus the horns looked longer.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

T Stone, was the Impala not maybe castrated by some means? Jumping a fence and getting his testicles damaged? Or some other natural occurrence? Maybe that is why his horns are short but he is very heavy. Also because his testosterone levels are down he should have been calm as the ewes were not interesting. That saved a lot of energy and provided extra grazing time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    T Stone, was the Impala not maybe castrated by some means? Jumping a fence and getting his testicles damaged? Or some other natural occurrence? Maybe that is why his horns are short but he is very heavy. Also because his testosterone levels are down he should have been calm as the ewes were not interesting. That saved a lot of energy and provided extra grazing time.
    Nope. He had his cojones intact.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

All balls and small horns then. There are humans like that also. Think they are "the man" but when the tough gets going they quit.

Anyways, 46 kg for a true ram is certainly huge.

Banned

I would really have liked to have a few minutes with that animal, just to look at teeth, hooves , and so forth. The Impala I see are some what smaller, my biggest was a 32 or 33 kg ewe in Kirkwood with nearly all the Rams being under 30 kg

User

What was the condition of the animal? With loads of good food, and animal can build up a lot of fat, that can put the carcass weight a few percent above the average weight.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    What was the condition of the animal? With loads of good food, and animal can build up a lot of fat, that can put the carcass weight a few percent above the average weight.
    Veld condition is currently very good and yes, that definitely has an influence on weight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast