Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Some noob questions about one up

Should you, on a daily basis, take out the round in the snout? Or should you just leave it loaded indefinitely?

I know you should rotate the rounds in the mag but more interested if there should be any "relief" somewhere for the internals?

User

Default Re: Some noob questions about one up

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Should you, on a daily basis, take out the round in the snout? Or should you just leave it loaded indefinitely?

I know you should rotate the rounds in the mag but more interested if there should be any "relief" somewhere for the internals?
    It's not necessary in my opinion to take the round out every day. Just keep it holstered and in the safe if not directly under your control. You will take the round out anyway if you are going to do your dry practice (which you should do often).

Remember also that it's a good idea to not repeatedly cycle the same round in and out of the chamber. After a few chamberings, it's better to put it in your range pile and shoot it out.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    It's not necessary in my opinion to take the round out every day. Just keep it holstered and in the safe if not directly under your control. You will take the round out anyway if you are going to do your dry practice (which you should do often).

Remember also that it's a good idea to not repeatedly cycle the same round in and out of the chamber. After a few chamberings, it's better to put it in your range pile and shoot it out.

Thanx! So no magical "limit" that your gun should not stay loaded for "X" period of time? Noted on the dry run practice!

User

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Thanx! So no magical "limit" that your gun should not stay loaded for "X" period of time? Noted on the dry run practice!
    Yes, no specific limit that I'm aware of.

Is that because the bullet gets seated deeper and deeper over time?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    That's one of the main concerns but I've also heard repeated chambering may also have an effect on the seal or fit between the bullet and the case mouth, even if bullet setback does not happen to a significant degree. Bullet setback is a concern to me for ammunition that is rated. +p+. I've actually checked new Ranger T series rounds next to ones I've chambered before to be sure that the chambered round did not exhibit setback. (fortunately I've not encountered it). Limiting the amount of chamberings for a cartridge and to check the condition of the ammo before you rechamber it definitely seems like the most prudent idea.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I don't see any reason for taking it out. The more you handle a firearm the better the chance of an accidental discharge and SD firearms are mostly then handled inside your house where the ones you are protecting are also present most probably. My SD handgun is one-up inside its holster until everybody in the house is in bed and then it is removed from the carry holster straight to the "night safekeeping but accessible" holster. In the morning it is transferred to the carry holster (during this time I am always sure of a safe direction and no family in the downrange area) and the the holster (IWB) is going into my pants.

Short answer: No, I don't fiddle with guns in the house, ever.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I don't see any reason for taking it out. The more you handle a firearm the better the chance of an accidental discharge and SD firearms are mostly then handled inside your house where the ones you are protecting are also present most probably. My SD handgun is one-up inside its holster until everybody in the house is in bed and then it is removed from the carry holster straight to the "night safekeeping but accessible" holster. In the morning it is transferred to the carry holster (during this time I am always sure of a safe direction and no family in the downrange area) and the the holster (IWB) is going into my pants.

Short answer: No, I don't fiddle with guns in the house, ever.
    Don't you do dry practice?

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Set back is only one issue. Primers can also become desensitised. It's rare but it can happen.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Don't you do dry practice?

Was going to ask the same. I'm very cautious about my firearms but not to that extent.
    Empty chamber and remove mag and get to dry firing in safe direction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast