Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Range ammo or Reload

Hi. Shooting more and more handgun again.

Have full reloading outfit for my rifles, now thinking of getting the extra dies etc etc to reload 9mm.

Am looking for a cost comparison.

What is the cheapest price you can get good range ammo at in 9mm - say 1000 rounds, what is cost.

Is it cheaper to reload considering I have most of the reloading gear already.

Planning to shoot 1000 rounds a year.

Eish, I have muddled this all up, confusing myself.

Is it cheaper to reload than buy cheap range ammo?

Which is the better route to go.

Cheers.

User

Default Re: Range ammo or Reload

Only one question mark! but the answer is YES

User

If you already have a press set up and you only need dies. Then reloading is the way to go.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

If I was only going to shoot a 1000 rounds a year, I would buy factory ammo. Not factory reloads or "remanufactured" or whatever they call it but factory new ammo.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

When its cheaper you shoot more. So there is a theoretical cost saving with reloading, actual cost savings are a myth.

you can get about 1000 bullets for R1100

User

Once you have accumulated enough cases, you can consider to start reloading. All you need to get started is a die set and some instruction.

Loading handgun ammo differs somewhat from loading rifle ammo. Powder measuring, for example, is usually done volumetrically to speed things up a bit. You usually want to load bigger batches too, so that takes some planning.

So start loading with your single-stage press and learn the ropes. This will enable you to shoot some more, so your ammo budget may soon exceed your current levels.

By this time you will know if you need to upgrade to a progressive reloader. If it comes with dies, you can sell the extra set to some other new reloader.

Mind you, look around for a used die set to get started. This will keep the initial cost pretty low.

Nah reload. Last time I calculated my 9mmP cost per shot for factory came to 5.50ish rand a shot and reloads something like R3.20. So over a thousand rounds thats a set of Mepro sights or couple of spare mags worth of savings. Shoot double that a year and you're cooking with gas considering you could pick up 2nd hand dies for R500 odd.Time is the only problem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    If I was only going to shoot a 1000 rounds a year, I would buy factory ammo. Not factory reloads or "remanufactured" or whatever they call it but factory new ammo.
    100ish rounds a month. Like SSP said I wouldn't bother reloading. Buy factory ammo. But keep the cases.

I think for the amounts you are shooting I don’t think the money is going to be the major factor, I think time is. If you have the time to tinker reloading then go for it. Depending on the press you have it could be a case of a few evenings playing or one evening. Reloading is an art as one is always trying to get it even better. If you want to reload faster expect to pay more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast