Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Original sporting Mauser, dril or not?

I bought a mint original sporting Mauser with double trigers from an estate. At the time I thought that it was sporterized but later saw what a gem it is with matching numbers and original.
    I am a hunter and not a collector and want to use it for hunting. Do I still and tap the rifle for scope use? My heart say no but aging eyes say yes. Waiting for the license from a long time already make me think that it is not worth selling it and buying another one (they are scarse) and starting from scratch with the license. Opinions please.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Original sporting Mauser, dril or not?

Damn. Sell it and get one you can drill
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

There is nothing wrong with adding factory mounts to a rifle that doesn't have any.

Before you do anything, first check if that action has got factory scope mounts or a rail available.

Some of the old receivers were not designed for mounts, so drilling it is pointless.

I have a model 70 with a type 1 receiver. I got the run-around from two very well known gunsmiths trying to fit a rail to it. They both said no problem. What they meant was it was no problem to take my money, and didn't give a sh** if it worked afterwards or not. What they should have told me was that a type 1 receiver can't take a scope rail.

If there is no factory base or mount available, don't believe any gunsmith that says they can fit a scope to it. They will just hack something on there and leave you to sort out the mess.

User

It is a K98 action build in 1937 according to it's serial number.
    It will sell quickly but the license is long process and to get another 7x57 K98 Mauser is not that easy. I was searching for years before I stumbled into this one. I am waiting for months for this one's license.

Banned

Sinner you be if you desecrate it. I still regret threading my old CZ .22

User

Quote Originally Posted by essie View Post
    I bought a mint original sporting Mauser with double trigers from an estate. At the time I thought that it was sporterized but later saw what a gem it is with matching numbers and original.
    I am a hunter and not a collector and want to use it for hunting. Do I still and tap the rifle for scope use? My heart say no but aging eyes say yes. Waiting for the license from a long time already make me think that it is not worth selling it and buying another one (they are scarse) and starting from scratch with the license. Opinions please.
    That is a special rifle. You are actually just a temporary custodian. I wouldn’t do it. Preserve and cherish it. If not too much trouble, please post a few pictures?

Keep that one and get another for hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by essie View Post
    I bought a mint original sporting Mauser... Opinions please.
    Maybe this would help. You state you are not a collector, fair enough, but deep within you, should you put on mounts would you still have same love for the firearm, be proud of it? That is why you are asking this. You have 4 options, as a hunter just drill and enjoy vs Drill and feel guilty, or do not drill and keep your sentiment on rifle in tact vs do not drill and sitting with open sights you are saying you can't use.

I want to venture and say that a classic such as the 7x57 is a great open sight rifle and with practice you can become really efficient and good with it. Again sure if you your eyesight doesn't allow you, fair enough again very good reason.

I am sitting with same issue on a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Although mine is 243 (caliber doesn't align to oopensigt) I am going to sell it as I am not collector or just keep it (and become a collector ). I want to be proud of the rifle, not have the slightest bit of regret that I shouldn't have drilled it, but that is me.

BTW - I might be interested should you wish to sell...

Banned

The final decision rests with you, guided by things like sentiment, morality, ego and circumstances.

If the telescope must be, and the rifle must be as well, please try to keep it original?

The rifle will go to someone else at some time, so please think of them as well?

User

On a US forum they like to say something like 'just remember, they don't make them any more and there are less every day'.

My thing is .22s. I have a limited edition Winchester lever action but it is drilled- even though it has a rail. A very skilled worker lapped a choke in to the end of my Winchester target rifle- most target rifles of the era had it- sadly it is now a "18" benchrest rifle". Both rifles are the only ones I have seen in SA

Sadly the licensing debacle has cost many a classic to walk this road and .22s have suffered the most, they are mos not real guns. Many are inherited firearms that a son "had to license" and then decided to "make cool".

Some of the changes made 'back in the day' aren't too bad and some add value but they did some really beautiful work back in the day. In many cases it was better than factory and it appears as if gunsmiths in the old days were artists when it came to metal or wood. Custom triggers, torsion devices, custom wood stocks and all kinds of beautiful metal work and fittings was done.

It becomes very easy to go all out once you start and lost the original status but you usually find that they'll never be able to use all the options their pal just arrived with at the range and I believe that most of the classic frankensteins were sold a few months after the person started.

I don't want this to appear mean and by all means if you want to do some work please do. I myself am just a little bit crazy the best way to describe my view is to say that my guns must function and I must be able to use them but I like my guns more than hunting, shooting straight, aiming, winning competitions, saving my hearing etc.

User

I unfortunately don't have a clue how to place photos on the forum. If someone who can send me there number I can watsupp photos to them.
    SASwart, I have sold a Mannlicher mod 1908 8X56 for the same reason a couple of years back for the same reason. Still want to cry when I think of her. Worked like a charm in the bush and fitted like a glove. Could almost shoot without using the sights.
    I love the old classics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast