Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Original sporting Mauser, dril or not?

If someone really wanted to preserve it they would contact you and make a silly offer. Too many times I see people say to someone else they should do x and y with their property or that a person is merely a custodian of a certain piece and this is utter BS.

You paid for it, it is yours to do with as you see fit. If fitting a scope will make the rifle more useable and enjoyable then have one fitted, you already have an affinity to the classic rifles, modding what you have to fit your requirements is perfectly fine to do and you don't need to ask permission from anybody to do so.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    If someone really wanted to preserve it they would contact you and make a silly offer. Too many times I see people say to someone else they should do x and y with their property or that a person is merely a custodian of a certain piece and this is utter BS.

You paid for it, it is yours to do with as you see fit. If fitting a scope will make the rifle more useable and enjoyable then have one fitted, you already have an affinity to the classic rifles, modding what you have to fit your requirements is perfectly fine to do and you don't need to ask permission from anybody to do so.

He wasn’t asking for permission. He was asking for opinions.

Banned

I am hoping no real special, one of the lasts of some collectible ever lands in your hands.

You paid for it, it is yours to do with as you see fit - or that a person is merely a custodian of a certain piece and this is utter BS.

If that ain't self centered, selfish and egotistical, I just dunno what is.

User

Google search accumount, there seems to be an option where you don't need to make any permanent modifications. Some dovetail mounting option that uses the sights dovetails.

User

More options that avoid drilling.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instaprice.html

Banned

Zguy - what a amazing find, wonder why this is so less known about ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I am hoping no real special, one of the lasts of some collectible ever lands in your hands.

You paid for it, it is yours to do with as you see fit - or that a person is merely a custodian of a certain piece and this is utter BS.

If that ain't self centered, selfish and egotistical, I just dunno what is.
    Why don't you make the gent a genuine "collectors value" offer then and save the rifle from someone like me?

User

Thanks treeman. Not sure how good this is compared to solid mounting but it seems to be a good compromise between accuracy and keeping original.

I see some people call this concept scout mounting.

User

[/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]If that ain't self centered, selfish and egotistical, I just dunno what is.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. He bought it, it is his property now so he can do with it what he wants to. I have a High Standard Citation Supermatic .22 pistol, I wanted to mount a silencer on it and had it machined to fit the silencer, several of our club members gave me lip and crap for having it machined but sad news for them, but now it works better for me than before. It still stays a tool.
    Sad to say but I've seen several very nice looking rifles, getting dumped in a electric arc furnace and then melted as scrap metal. A sad sight indeed.

Banned

Why don't you make the gent a genuine "collectors value" offer then and save the rifle from someone like me?
    I honestly do not want another weapon, even if given to me. I have about 30/32 and last week I decided to start selling off a few items. For the records I would not own such a weapon as it is useless to me because it can not be made as I want it, I would pass on it if I could not use it as it is. It is a treasure and should be treated as such.
    Last year I passed on a 22 Magnum Winchester Lever action of ancient heritage purely for the reason of no scope. A young farmer friend Cobus Smith from Kirkwood owns it now, he also took the same heritage model 30/30 lever gun. " Ek belowe dave dit sal in die familie bly, net so oorspronklik"

I am sure how ever that if the weapon was offered as and for what it is there would be a collector or someone who values it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast