Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Original sporting Mauser, dril or not?

A mint 1937 sporting Mauser can be worth a lot of money depending on model and scarcity. Drilling and tapping will reduce the collectors value dramatically.

It might be a good idea to have it valued before you do anything that could affect that value.

User

Ah yes, nice one Zguy.

If you get into it many weird guns have a mount that does that. The one for my BSA Martini Intl. comes from a guy in Aus and AFAIK he only makes a mount for this one gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    If that ain't self centered, selfish and egotistical, I just dunno what is.
    I don't agree. He bought it, it is his property now so he can do with it what he wants to. I have a High Standard Citation Supermatic .22 pistol, I wanted to mount a silencer on it and had it machined to fit the silencer, several of our club members gave me lip and crap for having it machined but sad news for them, but now it works better for me than before. It still stays a tool.
    Sad to say but I've seen several very nice looking rifles, getting dumped in a electric arc furnace and then melted as scrap metal. A sad sight indeed.
    I guess it is a matter of tool vs art and most would not feel the same if they could freely trade, had a bundle of cash or the gun brought nanna much joy.

If I had your choice I am aiming at a R1500 Ruger MK2 and it would look awesome with an integral. Like the Beretta 81 it is plentiful so no one cares what I do with it. It also takes a base better than most. With mag availability, handle options and total cost I win over the SupaFrankenstein in the long run. You will obviously win with trigger and accuracy but given the choice...I wonder.

User

Thanks for all the advice. I will wait for the license that must come at some stage. It is like waiting for rain in the drought.
    I will see how I do with the open sight and then make a decision.
    Shut, I am going to look into those bases, just did not have much luck with gun related imports from the US lately.

Is this a single square bridge? If done correctly and using a Khales period scope could be a nice gun.

User

I have an original 7.65x53 Argentine Mauser and shot a nice grouping last week with open sights. And my eyes are getting really crap.

It was the first time I have shot with it in about 10 years. Happy for it to stay in the safe in its original form in the safe.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Can I ask, why you don't just buy a second rifle? I'm sure, in time, you may come to regret mounting a scope to this rifle. Keep it as it is and enjoy it.

User

Import a mount from the states. S & K scopemounts have mounts for the rifle that doesnt need any modifications done to the rifle. You can always revert to the original rifle without butchering or altering the rifle.
    I imported a mount for my Arg Mauser and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and sturdiness of the mount that fit without any drilling and tapping.

User

As mentioned above, the rifle could be quite valuable and tapping it could reduce that value. Even if you don't care about originality in a nearly 100 year old rifle it would be worth checking to see whether you are stealing money from yourself by altering it. In the collectors world small changes can make big differences in value.

User

Thanks for the replies.
    I got the license in the meantime and it is better than I thought. Same serial number on everything, from the stock, firing pin, the two triggers everything.
    I had to take the bolt apart to clean out hardened grease.
    Shoots nice to 100m but that is my limit with open sights and my eyes.
    She is spotless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast